Friday, November 16, 2012

Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey BBQ and Zucchini Slaw

Thanksgiving is fast approaching and it makes me think of two food related things:
  • What to man for the big family meal.
  • And what to make with the leftovers.
Last year I posted homemade turkey soup, a great way to use the meat and the bones for another meal. This year I thought I'd do something different. I love chicken BBQ so what would be better than using your leftover turkey (especially the dark meat) for a another weekday or weekend meal for your family?

 Saturday after Thanksgiving no one wants to cook so make an easy meal that everyone will love.


 Two things about my leftover thanksgiving turkey BBQ. First, I make my OWN barbeque sauce and I do not use ketchup! It is almost impossible to find a recipe online for homemade BBQ without ketchup so here it is. Instead I use tomato paste and several other ingredients (like beer.)  Also, I simmer this BBQ for about an hour so the meat is super tender and the flavors mix together.
 
Depending on your taste you may want to adjust some of the ingredients such as the hot sauce and the vinegar. It is all about a preferable ratio of tastes but really you can't go wrong with the beer.

The second recipe is for a zucchini coleslaw I made simply because I had zucchini and no cabbage! It's based on a Taste of Home recipe and I hope you make it either as a part of your Thanksgiving Day meal (like us) or for your leftovers! We have a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition of Thanksgiving coleslaw so this will hopefully be well received as a delightful twist!

Whether you decide to make this with your leftover turkey meat or just regular chicken meat (like me) I hope you decide to make this as in my opinion it is super delicious and Aaron approved!

P.s. Save the carcass for more ideas like homemade broth for risotto!

Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey (or Chicken) Barbeque
 
Makes 5-6 servings

 
 
Ingredients:
 
5-6 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken meat, mixture of white and dark
 1  bottle of lager beer ( I used Sam Adams)
 1 cup water
 3tbsp. Tomato paste

 
2tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
 1/2 cup brown sugar
 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
 2-3 cloves garlic minced
 1 small-medium yellow onion, chopped
 2tbsp. Butter
 1 tsp. garlic powder
 1tsp. Onion powder
 2 tsp. chili powder
 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
 1 tbsp. sriracha or hot sauce
 Black pepper

 Directions:

In a medium sauce pan sauté tbsp butter with minced garlic and onion and a little salt.
Once onions are tender add all ingredients except beer and shredded meat. 
 
Mix together and simmer on low for 10 minutes until sauce is thick. Add shredded meat and coat well with sauce. Add beer and cook on high stirring for 1-2 minutes.

Reduce to low heat and cover. Cook meat for 1 hour, stirring often.

After 1 hour meat should be tender and mixed into the sauce. Serve hot with coleslaw on toasted bread.

 
Zucchini Coleslaw Makes 5 servings
(Adapted from Taste of Home)
 

Ingredients:

1 large zucchini, raw
 2 large carrots, peeled
 1/4 cup finely minced onion
 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
 4 tbsp. light mayonnaise
 1 tsp. garlic salt
 Dash of hot sauce or sriracha
 1 tbsp. sugar
 Black pepper

Directions:

Cut zucchini into very thin rounds, use a mandolin if you have it. Stack several rounds together and slice into thin matchsticks.

 Cut carrots lengthwise in half and then in 4 sections. Chop carrots into matchsticks similar to zucchini.

 Add both to a large bowl with rest of ingredients and mix well.
 Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on top of BBQ!

 
Enjoy!

Come back next week for my countdown of favorite thanksgiving recipes both on and creative ideas for leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment