Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Cautionary Tale about Cyber-Bullying

I usually don’t comment on stuff like this, but  I felt compelled after reading a truly heart-breaking post from my blogging friend, Carrie at Bakeaholic Mama.

I hope she is okay with me writing about this, but as a fellow food blogger I could not let this one go. Carrie and I started within a month of each other and became among each others’ first followers, respectively.  Since July 2011, Carrie has helped me get Facebook fans, twitter followers, and blog followers on multiple occasions, just out of the goodness of her heart.

While my blog has stayed very small over this time, Carrie’s page has exploded, turning into an amazing professional-grade blog. I have the UPMOST respect for this mother of three and recipe-guru. Seriously, she’s amazing. I’ve often wished I’ve had similar success, but after this particular incident, I’ve realized there is always a price—no matter how well deserved that person is of their success.

I won’t say too much about the incident(s) in question in order to respect Carrie and the parties involved. If you wish, you can read Carrie’s side of it on her blog, and then go home immediately and make the recipe she included.

Seriously this woman gets sucker punched and she makes friendship muffins. Move over Mother Theresa!

But the point is Carrie who has worked tirelessly for almost two years on her fabulous blog has been subject to several separate cases of cyber-bullying on her blog’s Facebook page and actual site. I’ve witness these attacks on several occasions and often give words of encouragement but this time was just plain horrible. After an innocent and well deserved request for the respect of herself and other bloggers’ personal property, another person gave out Carrie’s personal Facebook information. Along with that, they allowed their followers to viciously attack her online through comments and private messages that would make your hair curl.

Guess what? This happens ALL OF THE TIME. Oh, and another thing...

This is not okay.

 A hard-working mother of three should be respected and honored, NOT attacked. If you agree (or even not,) please check out some information on cyber-bullying (from the Decorated Cookie) and the proper way to share other’s intellectual property online (from Dianne J.com) whether it be one Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

The only way cyber-bullying will stop is if we all take a stand against it. No matter if said bullying is against an innocent 13-year old girl or a blogger, it is never right. We as a society must stand against it before this problem becomes worst. Just because you are behind a computer screen does not mean give someone the right to say nasty things about others.

I know you, my readers are respectful, and essentially I am preaching to the choir, but I appreciate the occasional Amen! I hope all of you will send Carrie some love. And please share responsively.

That’s my two cents.

4 comments:

  1. I'll give you a big "Amen sista!" on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling! I hope yyou'll never have to deal with people stealing your lovely photographs

      Delete
    2. When I first started my blogging adventure, I dealt with literal in person bullying. This girl still makes me uncomfortable to see or even think about, it's traumatizing even as an adult! But thank you - as I hope that no one ever takes your recipes as their own.

      Delete
    3. Wow, it is really sad that something meant to be creative and inviting can lead to such mean spiritness. I'm sorry that happened to you, it is traumatizing. Words hurt more than sticks sometimes. Let's have some chai and discuss :)

      Delete