Wednesday, October 30, 2013

WIAW #61: Coconut Curry Lentils with Shrimp

Happy Wednesday before Halloween everyone! I was so excited yesterday when I found out my building does trick-or-treat for the kids in complex. I immediately started working on a easy-DIY Halloween costume from the great website, Take Back Halloween for women and girls who want creative costumes based on inspiring women throughout history.



I have no spooky snacks, but I do have an easy costume if you still need one for this weekend. I will reveal a tutorial this week! Any guesses on my costume? What are you wearing?
Meanwhile, I have been enjoying my new kitchen and been trying to cook a lot, despite my still limited pantry.



Like these Coconut Curry Lentils with Coconut Scented Shrimp and vegetables.
(Recipe at the end of this post FYI.)


I told you last week I was really enjoying experimenting with my new Kitchen Aid mixer and pasta attachment... so I hope you understand. 


This is what I ate this week in no particular order.



I made pasta!



Homemade fettuccine with turkey sausage, 
mushrooms and sage with side of sauteed asparagus



Honey crisp apple with PB2 (my new obsession)


Homemade sweet potato and roasted garlic ravioli in a white wine sage and parsley sauce



Mediterranean Rigatoni with baked salmon, fresh tomato sauce, Kalamata olives, and feta 




Homemade turkey meatball marinara on ciabatta


Granola and strawberries over Greek yogurt and honey


Coconut Curry lentils with Coconut scented shrimp, spinach carrots, and love


As for that curry…..

It’s no secret that I love curry. Whether it’s a type of Indian, Bengali, Thai, etc. I am on board. So when I saw Thai Peanut Lentil Curry  from the Nifty Cupcake on Pinterest, I knew it would be a new way to prepare the green lentils in my pantry. Of course, since it is me, I changed to recipe to my personal preferences, adding more emphasis on the coconut than the peanuts, and adding julienned carrots, sautéed shrimp for a full meal.



I changed the ratios of my version quite a bit: using 1 cup of dry lentils per sauce recipe versus the directed 2 cups. For my preference, I like a more stewed curry meal, the original lentils seem like they have a bit more crunch to them. I also wanted another veggie in mine, so I added raw julienne carrots at the same time, which wilted like the spinach, as they were so thin. I love the sweetness and color they brought to the dish.  My other changes were little, using roasted coriander instead of turmeric out of necessity, and using coconut oil to add some more coconut flavor. If you have it, use it. It will really add to the dish…especially the shrimp.

I used PB2 powdered peanut butter instead of regular peanut butter. If you have the regular stuff, go ahead and use it, but you might want to use less since regular peanut butter has a lot more fat and will affect the taste more.

If you haven’t tried PB2 yet, you are missing out! I’ve seen people raving about it for a year and a half, but I just recently tried it as I never before saw it in stores, only online. Let’s just say, I love it! Since it’s powdered, the fat and oil are removed, making it only 45 calories with 10 calories of fat per 2 tbsp. than the regular 200 calories per 2 tbsp.! Now you can have your peanut butter and eat it too! I like using the powder in smoothies, but once prepared with tbsp. water, the texture is so creamy and delicious, and I couldn’t believe it.

But my new favorite way to use PB2 is in this coconut curry. You won't be disappointed. When have I ever led you astray? 

Coconut Curry Lentils 
with Coconut scented Shrimp
(Adapted from The Nifty Cupcake)
Makes 3-4 dinner servings



Note: this recipe is listed under vegetarian, vegan, and meatless because it is so easy to customize. Simply omit shrimp and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth or water. Easy!

Ingredients:

1 cup dry green or brown lentils, rinsed
2 to 3 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 can low-fat coconut milk
3 cups of fresh spinach
2 large carrots, julienned
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. pb2 prepared with 1 tbsp. water, plus more for garnish (or 1 tbsp. regular peanut butter and chopped peanuts for garnish)
1 tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried ginger
1 tsp. roasted coriander
1 tsp. sea salt and pepper

Sriracha for serving

For the shrimp
12 American large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tbsp. Coconut oil
1 Garlic clove, minced
Dashes of the following:
Pb2, curry powder, paprika, coriander, garlic powder, dried ginger, salt, and pepper.


Directions:

In a medium pot, add lentils and covered with enough chicken broth to cover the top by an inch. Simmer covered over medium-high heat until lentils are tender. 10-20 minutes depending on lentils. Check after 10 minutes, continue to cook and add more broth if necessary. Once cooked, drain if necessary and remove from pot, setting aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion to pan, stirring frequently until caramelized, not burnt.

While onions are cooking, combine all of the spices together in a small bowl. Once onions are cooked add the spice blend and toast spices for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.

Add coconut milk, coconut oil, and peanut butter and stir with onions and spices. Simmer for sauce for about 5 minutes, allowing it to slightly thicken.

Meanwhile lentils are done and sauce is thickened, reduce heat slightly, and gently fold in lentils, spinach, and carrots. Cover for 2-3 minutes, until spinach and wilted. Stir together one last time.

While spinach is wilting, using the lentil pot, heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil, and garlic until fragrant for the shrimp. Add shrimp and dashes of spices. Stirring shrimp in the sauce, cook until both sides of shrimp are pink and begin to curl. About 3 minutes. Do not over cook shrimp. Take off heat.

Once lentils are ready, dish onto plates and top with shrimp, dashes of sriracha, and an extra sprinkle of pb2 or chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

The Cuisiner

Do you have plans for Halloween? Tell me what you're wearing or doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment