Thursday, November 14, 2013

Black Cherries Jubilee Cocktail: #2ndDayofThanksgivukkah


Ever since I was a kid I loved Dr. Brown’s black cherry soda. Every time we went to the one Jewish deli in our area I would get a Dr. Brown’s along with my sandwich.  My sister loved their cream soda, and it wasn’t until moving to Philadelphia that I discover Cel-Ray. That’s right, celery soda.  You may think it’s crazy, but Cel-ray is similar to Ginger-ale and isn’t super sweet so it’s the ideal companion for a sandwich on rye.

If you've never tried this soda, you need to track it down immediately. Try the Kosher/Jewish section of your local grocery store. Many online retailers sell it in quantities of 24 cans or higher.

No matter the flavor, Dr. Brown’s soda is THE beverage of the East Coast Jewish deli. Nothing is more perfect or refreshing with your pastrami than Dr. Browns, period.


So when I started the Thanksgivukkah series, I knew I needed to have a Dr. Brown’s cocktail.

My first thought was to pair Cel-ray with Bluecoat Gin, fresh cucumbers, lime, and mint. How refreshing! Unfortunately, now living in West Texas, I was lucky enough to find six-packs of Dr. Brown’s black cherry and cream soda in the very small kosher section of the grocery store. I came to the conclusion that a black cherry cocktail might fit the season better and I didn’t want to pay $35 + shipping to get Cel-ray.


So instead, I bring you an incredibly season-appropriate cocktail that your guests will love from Thanksgivukkah to New Year’s Eve.


I wanted to capture the spiciness Fall flavors often bring, so I added Remy Martin V.S.O.P. Champagne Cognac. But I also wanted this to be refreshing, so with a splash of triple sec, and fresh orange, these drink tastes like Festivity. Topped off with the attractiveness of freshly grated nutmeg for an added spice, this drink is as pretty as your table’s centerpiece, while being a lot tastier.


I think I’ve put together one great Thanksgivukkah cocktail if I do say myself….

As the drink suggests, it’s a party in a glass. Ba da bump.

Black Cherries Jubilee
Makes 1 cocktail


Ingredients:
5 oz. Dr. Browns black cherry soda
1 oz. Remy Martin V.S.O.P. champagne cognac
1/2 oz. triple sec
1 orange twist, long
1 tbsp. fresh orange juice
Fresh nutmeg
Ice

You will need:
Tall highball glass
Spice or fine cheese grater

Directions:

In a tall highball glass, add 3 ice cubes and pour cognac and triple sec into the glass. Drop in orange peel and squeeze juice. Top with Black cherry soda.

With a zester or fine grater, grate fresh nutmeg over the entire top of the drink and serve.

Tip: If you like a spicier, more potent cocktail, add a splash more cognac.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I was not paid,compensated, nor contacted to endorse Dr. Brown's Sodas. This post was done solely out of my love for this soda.

What's your favorite seasonal cocktail?

No comments:

Post a Comment