Sunday, January 20, 2013

Roasted Maple Sweet Potatoes


If you have come to the College Cuisiner before you probably know I LOVE sweet potatoes.
They are so much more versatile than many people, like my mother, think they are.



Savory Sweet potatoes are some of my favorite additions and their sweet complex flavor lend greatly to different ethnic flavors of Mediterranean, Indian, and Mexican.

Last week I finally perfected roasted sweet potatoes which go great with tacos, on nachos, in breakfast tacos, even with meatloaf!


 Here are some of the ways I’ve incorporated these roasted sweet potatoes lately:



What’s great about this recipe is there is little fuss and goes as a perfect side dish. If you are making an ethnic dish try adding a little dried cumin or even curry powder!


 I love how sweet potatoes get deliciously caramelized and sweet while savory. This is a surprising crowd favorite, so give it a try and let me know what you think!



Spiced Roasted Sweet Potatoes



Ingredients:

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
3 tbsp vegetable oil or enough to coat the potatoes
2-3 tbsp quality maple syrup
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sea salt
Black pepper

Optional:
1 tsp ground cumin or curry powder

½ tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro


Try honey or light agave in place of maple syrup


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400. In a large bowl, toss all ingredients until sweet potatoes are coated well.

Transfer sweet potatoes to a large glass casserole dish. Place in oven for about 30 minutes until cubes crumble with a fork.

Serve hot with your favorite meal!

Enjoy.

Love,


The College Cuisiner

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to try adding maple syrup the next time I roast sweet potatoes! I have to find a good quality syrup, though. I've been seeing a lot of recipes requiring it lately! I am so glad someone else sees the versatility of such a fine veggie, though! Last weekend we had a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes, baby reds, brocolli, carrots, peppers, onions and tomatoes. That night we mixed it with the leftover chicken from tacos the night before and had another batch of tacos - even more delicious. Then, I had sweet potato burgers and cut them up and put them in alfredo. I seriously cannot get enough! Can't wait to try this variation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I love adding sweet potatoes to practically anything. I think you would like the maple syrup as well, it works so well with them.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...totally craving some roasted sweet potatoes now. Pinning your recipe. Love all your ideas for how to add the sweet potatoes to different recipes and cuisine. Is that a flatbread pizza in the second photo? What type of cheese did you use and what else was on it. Looks incredible!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They really are incredibly versatile. That's a pita pizza with thinly sliced sweet potatoes, zucchini, shallots, garlic and I believe sharp provolone but you could use any Italian cheese...and chia seeds and crushed red peper. It was a clean-the-fridge pizza! So easy to recreate!

      Delete