Thursday, August 1, 2013

WIAW #58: The "Bright and Sunny" Cocktail

Once again, I’m late to the party.  But hey, fashionably late right? Sure.

 
Well, on top of everything else I’m been so not good with documenting my eats with week due to many events including a wonderful Bride maid’s Outing on Saturday to some Bucks County Wineries. I really hope someone took photos!



But, seriously, what awesome ladies do I have backing me up? ( My Matron of Honor is behind the camera, way to go mom.)

But back to the very few of the eats I did document this week:
 
 
Baked mini ravioli with zucchini, sweet potatoes, and couple sautéed shrimp on top


Half of a stuffed brioche French toast with sautéed strawberries and bananas from work. Yeah, I get to look at this ALL DAY. Yet this is only the second one I have had in the 10 months I’ve worked there. I’m doing well.
 
 
And because this was so good, here is the recipe and recap for my new favorite cocktail, the ‘Bright and Sunny.”
 

Why is it called the Bright and Sunny you may be asking? Well, if you are like me, you may have noticed that “classic” cocktails seem to be popping back up on menus everywhere everywhere lately—including the Dark and Stormy. Seriously, something I have rarely seen before has now been spotted on 4 or 5 menus in the last month. And to answer your other question, no, I haven’t been drinking all of these I’ve seen!
 

The Dark and Stormy is a cocktail traditionally made with Goslings rum and ginger beer. But since ginger beer has fallen in popularity and therefore availability over the years, the drink wasn’t as easy to find. But what I am personally attributing to the rise in popularity of the very delicious and fancy Fever Tree drinks and mixers line, these babies are back.
 
I recently had the chance to try Fever Tree Ginger Beer when Aaron and I went shopping for our wedding libations. I’ve heard about the brand for awhile now, popping up in magazines and as I now see, menus as well. The brand boasts their all-natural ingredients and pledge to offer quality mixers to enhance your cocktails.

I was very happy to try the somewhat cloudy looking ginger beer, but since I found out recently I really don’t like the Dark and Stormy, I had to find another use for it.
 
Voila: the Bright and Sunny was born!

Really the only things this drink has in common with its predecessor is the use of ginger beer and a dark liquer. The Dark and Stormy, is a strong tasting drink. The B&S (yep, just realized my drink is BS,) is crisp and refreshing, therefore perfect for the last month of summer. This would also make a great pitcher drink as well for all of those late summer BBQs….

Reminiscent of a Pimm’s Cup, I promise you will drinking these well into Fall.
 
Bright and Sunny
(Makes 1 cocktail)
 
         
 
Ingredients:

1 bottle Fever Tree Ginger Beer (yes, it matters, and no it isn’t the same with ginger ale)
2 oz. Grand Marnier Orange Cognac
Juice of one fresh orange (about 4 oz.)
Squeeze of lime
Ice

Garnish:
3 raspberries
1 sprig of fresh mint
1 lime wedge

Directions:Fill a highball glass with ice. Add Grand Marnier, orange juice, lime, and top with ginger beer until ALMOST filled. Add mint sprig, and top with raspberries and lime wedge.
 

Serve immediately and enjoy.


Note: Really love your favorite mixer? Fill an ice tray with your favorite mixer (tonic, ginger ale, ginger beer, seltzer) and freeze until ready to use. This is the absolute perfect way to keep your favorite drink from getting watered down by anything other than yumminess!


Enjoy!

Love,

The Cuisiner


What’s your favorite Summer cocktail/mixer?


No comments:

Post a Comment