Saturday, October 22, 2011

Philly: Healthy Burgers, Fries, and Milkshakes

They said it couldn't be done. But I did it:

Burgers, fries and shakes healthy style.


How?

Grilled Pesto Turkey Burgers and low fat Swiss cheese

Baked Sweet Potato French Fries

Strawberry Milk Shakes (Frozen whole strawberries, non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt, non-fat milk)



These guilt-free milkshakes are so easy and all you need is three ingredients and a blender!


I have already featured a version of my turkey burgers before but the difference is I added 1 tablespoon of Basil pesto and didn’t use fresh chopped onions, (because I didn’t have them.) They were good though, very moist and flavorful.

Ever since I got the giant bag of sweet potatoes from my mother I have been meaning to make sweet potato fries. I finally did!

I wanted to make the sweet potato fries with balsamic drizzle that I saw on Dinnertool.com but I couldn’t find the recipe.

But enjoy my version of sweet potato fries!

What was nice about these is I just put them in the oven and forgot about them for 45 minutes or so and they got perfectly soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. Definitely worth trying since they are so delicious, easy, and nutritious!

And for a burger, fries, and shake this uber-healthy version is super cost effective.

With ingredients for each item here's how it roughly breaks down to cost:


$0.95 for each burger (7 burgers per 1lb. ground turkey)

$0.71 for each serving of sweet potato fries ( about 3 servings per recipe)

$1.20 for each milk shake

= $ 2.86 per meal, not bad!


So with that, here is my super easy recipe for sweet potato fries!

Baked Sweet Potato Fries: about 3 servings

Ingredients:

3 large sweet potatoes or 5-6 small ones
2 tbsp. Olive Oil

1 ½  tbsp. garlic salt

1 tsp. black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.



Peel sweet potatoes and cut into pieces ½ inch thick and 3-4 inches long.


Arrange sweet potatoes on an oiled baking sheet so they can bake evenly.



Drizzle oil over sweet potatoes and season with garlic salt and pepper.



Bake for 45-50 minutes or until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.



Serve with your healthy and cheap burgers and Shakes!


Cooking is always more fun with music, here’s what was playing in my kitchen:

Playlist:
Can’t Go Back Now-The Weepies
Two Weeks-Grizzly Bear
Good to Sea-Pinback
First Train Home- Imogen Heap
Fake Plastic Trees- Radio Head
Dig-Incubus
Eleanor Rigby- The Beatles
Half Acre-Hem
Haven’t Met You Yet-Michael Buble
Just Say Yes- Snow Patrol

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

How do you feel about making burgers with turkey instead of beef on a regular basis?


No comments:

Post a Comment