Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Philly: Sweet Potato and Spinach Orzo

 Last weekend Aaron I went home to Small Town PA to spend the weekend with my mom. We left with a treasure trove of food items including a giant bag of sweet potatoes.




Leave it to our green-thumbed neighbor to give us so many garden-fresh, organic sweet potatoes that my mother had to give us half of the load (equaling about 15-20 of them!) Sweet potatoes are a super food and as I surprisingly learned recently, it is actually better to microwave your vegetables to lock in the nutrients that are often lost in traditional cooking methods. Who knew!


Trying to come up with a recipe to use all for them up, I went to my new favorite recipe site Dinnertool.com. I was told to check out the site and I love it.


There are a million and a half recipe sites out there but what makes Dinnertool different is that it is an all inclusive database for your favorite recipes. Through the site you can find a recipe and then export your very own printable shopping list according to the ingredients.


My favorite part of the site is the Meal Planner. You can plug in an ingredient you have on hand and can organize it by “easy,” Budget,” “Make Ahead,” “Fast,” and “Healthy,” as well as by diet restrictions and/or cuisine type. You can pull up main dishes, sides, desserts, or whole meals that include your “key” ingredient, and then plug in a week schedule of your favorite recipes.


It would take me forever to describe all the features the site offers including videos, articles, featured recipes, blog posts, and a lot more!


If you are stuck on what to make for dinner, try Dinnertool.com for some great recipes, ideas, and advice.


While plugging in “Sweet Potato” I found about 2,000 recipes that dwindled down when I plugged in “vegetarian.” I found as recipe for Butternut squash and sweet potato orzo that looked incredible. Because I didn't have any butternut squash, I opted for spinach instead to add some flavor and color to the dish.


Reading this recipe, it sounded more like a risotto recipe so I took the general idea and basically ran with my own.
I was so excited to find a normally $20 bottle of Sauvignon Blanc for $6.99! I love Pennsylvania Wine & Spirit stores’ “Chairman Selections” which are basically just really discounted wines that are usually quite good. This wine was perfect for the dish as well as the compliment: dry, tangy, light, and refreshing.

So overall I was able to make out pretty well with this meal. I will definitely be getting another bottle of Bear-Boat Sauvignon Blanc and I will absolutely use Dinner Tool again.

I can’t wait to try Dinner Tool's Sweet potatoes fries with a balsamic drizzle next time with the rest of my stash!
Don’t be scared of the sweet potato part of this dish. It really makes it both pop with color and flavor and it couldn’t be healthier for you. If you don’t want to make it up with orzo try pouring the mixture over rice. This recipe makes a beautiful rich sauce with plenty of nutrients and good fall feelings. If you really want a meat to compliment the dish, try grilled chicken in it or on the side.
As usual, I cook for two but this dish actually makes enough for 3-4 people (even people who eat like us.)

Sweet Potato and Spinach Orzo: 4 servings
(Adapted from Dinner Tool's Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Orzo)

Ingredients:
½ box of Orzo pasta
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 bag of fresh spinach
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Olive Oil
¾ cup Chicken Broth (Try Vegetable broth for a vegetarian variety)
1 cup dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
About ½-3/4 packet of Chicken gravy mix (again you can use a vegetable variety instead)
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:


In a large pot bring salted water to boil and cook ½ box of orzo for no more than 9 minutes for al dente, drain and return to pot.


Meanwhile, add the chopped sweet potatoes in a medium-large microwave safe bowl. Fill with salted water and microwave for ten minutes, stirring at half time.

In a large pan heat up olive oil and minced garlic, add onions and begin to brown.




Pour in ¾ cup of the wine and ½ cup of the chicken broth, allowing the mixture to simmer.




Add fresh spinach and cook down until soft in mixture.




Whisk in half of the gravy mix, dissolving any clumps, add pepper, salt, and 1 tsp. garlic powder.




Once sweet potatoes are cooked, drain the water and spoon the cooked sweet potatoes into the mixture.
Add another ¼ cup of wine, and ¼ cup of chicken broth along with the rest of the gravy mix.




Allow the mixture to simmer until a thick sauce develops. Continue stirring, not allowing the mixture to burn in the pan.

Once the mixture is finished, transfer the sauce to the orzo and stir together.


Serve with grated parmesan and fresh pepper on top. Drink with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and enjoy.
This recipe can be a delicious main course on its own or a side dish with chicken and a salad.
Love,
The College Cuisiner
What is your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes? Do you prefer them in sweet or savory dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment