Sunday, July 24, 2011

Small Town Summer: Steak and Shrimp with Cucumber and Chickpeas Salad

Summer meals tend to be redundant in my family: tomatoes, grilled meat, salads, cucumbers, basil. But that's because we cannot get enough of fresh items such as these. So of course, Friday night's dinner was no different; and it was definitely a family affair.

I cannot take all the credit for this meal since it was joint effort between four people: my mother, my boyfriend, my uncle, and myself.







As promised, Friday's menu consisted of:

New York Strip with Marinated Grilled Shrimp

Fresh Corn on the Cob

Cucumber Chickpeas Salad

In other words: yum.

As usual, I was responsible for the preparation of the steaks, eventhough I do not eat red meat.

But even so, I appreciate the beauty of a good steak.

About a year ago when I first started dating my boyfriend Aaron, I decided it was time to learn how to make a steak. Before that I had never needed to know. I did not eat it and when my mother did eat steak she made it herself. Of course this task was fufilled in my 5 x 4 kitchenette with two stove top burners and a mini-fridge.

My solution: improvisation. I had no grill, no oven. With only a frying pan to my name I went to work. I researched endlessy "how to cook a steak without an oven." It took me awhile but I found a way. When I went to buy this steak I bought the meat that was on sale for $3.99, thinking, "this looks good."

I came back with two very large thin cuts of London Broil. Aaron, the burger (and red meat) connosiour informed me that London Broil was a very low grade cut of meat. I mortified that my limited steak experience would ruin my first attempt at cooking one. Never fear I powered on.

I remember the experience like it was yesterday and have ingrained this process into my brain:

In a large frying pan I melted butter on medium high heat, I put the steak in that was rubbed with salt, pepper and olive oil and had been "resting" for an hour. I fried the steak for 3 and a half minutes of each side attempting to make in slightly rare enough for Aaron's taste. To my suprise he loved the steak and my appreciation for the dish began.




He's been in love with me and my cooking ever since! (Likewise here with him and his grilling!)


Back to this weekend dinner:





I started the steak with a simple rub of sea salt and fresh pepper and let the meat "rest" on a plate for an hour before grilling.

Aaron put the steaks on for 4 minutes on each side.


Grilled to perfection by the one and only grill master Aaron...                                                                                                                                                                                       




For the Shrimp I tossed them in Gazebo Room Greek dressing and pepper. That's all they need.

Space about 4-5 shrimp on a long wooden skewer and make sure they are spread out.

Soak the wooden skewers in a water bath for 10 minutes before grilling to make sure they do not smoke or burn on the grill.



Shrimp only take a few minutes to cook and you must be careful or they will become tough and dry.




 Cucumber and Chickpeas Salad





Ingredients:

2 cans Chickpeas

4 small pickling cucumbers, sliced

3 tomatoes, chopped and seeded

1 small-medium red onion

1/4 cup Chopped fresh basil

3 tblsp. Red wine Vinegar

2 tblsp. Olive Oil

Salt and Pepper


Directrions:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, keep chilled until served.

This is a fantastic recipe and the leftovers keep well. The perfect summer salad for grilled meals. The crunchy vegatables and light tangy flavor go well with steak and shrimp.

As always all of our vegetables came from our green-thumbed neighbor. This was the best corn I have ever had!




My Uncle Jeff was in charge of the corn which he prepared "Summer style" in an outdoor cooker.

First cut the ends of the corn but leave the husks on.




For this method you need to fill the cook with water until boiling, add 1/2 cup of butter (a whole stick) and old bay seasoning to the water. When boiling, add corn with the husks still on and boil for 10-12 minutes.

When you are ready to eat the corn, the husks and silk will fall right off, reveiling delicious seasoned corn.


This whole meal is great to share with family:


Absolutely perfect!

There's no better way to enjoy a summer meal than with family.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment