Monday, July 11, 2011

Small Town Summer: Watermelon Margarita

I thought I would use this first post to introduce myself a little.

My name is Marisa and I grew up in a small town but now I live in Philadelphia, PA. I am a huge foodie which can sometimes prove difficult for a college student with a kitchenette and an ever decreasing budget. I started my college cooking experience with a kitchenette consisting of two stove-top burners, a mini-fridge, and a microwave.A semester in I added a toaster oven, blender, and mini-George Forman Grille.

Despite my limited situation and lack of a proper oven, I made out okay, coming up with creative ways to cook every night without baking and without substanial funds.

To say the least, with the occasional "borrowing of an oven" and cleverly sneaking out fresh vegetables, fruit, and milk from the campus dining hall, voila! Dinner.

For my first post I thought I would share a favorite summer treat, Watermelon Margaritas:

This is a great way to take advantage of summer fruit season with local watermelons and it is a delicious treat!

Watermelon Margaritas: 4-5 servings



4-5 cups of frozen watermelon

Tip: When you get a fresh watermelon cut it into chunks and frsh in a plastic bag. Make sure you remove all of the seeds before freezing.

1/2 cup of Lime Juice (1-2 Limes)

6-7 oz. of Tequila (I don't like too much tequila so you can add more to taste.)

2-3 oz. of Triple Sec

handful of ice cubes

1/2 cup of Orange Juice

Sugar and Lime wedges to garnish

Add watermelon, ice cubes, lime juice, and alcohol into a blender. Blend until smooth. add orange juice and teaspoons of sugar to taste.

Take glasses and rub lime wedge on the edge of the glass then roll in sugar. Pour margarita mixture into the glass and add lime wedge.

Possible Variations:

Add frozen mango chunks or  frozen mango italian ice

Add 10-15 mint leaves, cut up.

Voila! A refreshing summer treat that is delicious and isn't too sweet.

I love to take advantage of fresh, local produce and making something delicious.

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment