Wednesday, February 29, 2012

WIAW #15: What I Ate in Prague


Czech this out:



I spent this weekend in Prague, Czech Republic and I still can’t believe it!!! It was so beautiful and despite minor setbacks including the Cathedral was closed for the weekend, and the gelato place I wanted to go to wasn’t open until next weekend. (It was voted the best in Prague too.)

There are many more pictures to come (I have over 300) but for now here are the highlights from this weekend:
  • The time I ordered a coffee and pastry at a deli completely in Czech. (a.k.a. “Hello, may I have a coffee and that pastry. Please. Thank you.”)
  • The time we walked outside it the 20 minute downpour and got soaking wet, because we decided to leave 30 minutes early.
  • Seeing the Prague Castle, it’s huge.

  • The Love Locks Bridge
  • Beer is cheaper than water

  • Seeing the Astronomical clock (I painted this in my AP Art Class)
  • Having real “American style” filtered coffee at a bagel place

  • Staying in an amazing apartment to ourselves with a kitchen and own bathroom for the same price as our hostel in Edinburgh.
  • Everything is soooo cheap.
  • Did I mention how cheap the beer was?
  • Getting here.




This week I thought I’d share with you my eats from Prague for something new and different on Wednesday. Sadly I didn’t get many veggies in (if you don’t count bread and potatoes.) But either way we ate Czech every night, differing every time. Always with a beer. I don’t even like beer, but Czech lager (they invented you know,) was soooo good.
And since this is Friday to Sunday, here is it in kind of chronological order.
Grilled Chicken in herbed butter, shredded red beets (veggie!!) and bread dumplings.
Pilsner Lager

Our homemade breakfast of eggs mixed with potatoes, green ,yellow and red peppers, tomatoes, and onions. Yum! And Raspberry Muesli with vanilla soymilk. Earl Gray tea.
Tortellini in a light sauce (Fine, all the Italian food is made by Yugoslavs in Prague.)

Hazelnut gelato for 35 crowns (about 2 dollars, NOT pounds for once!)

Coffee and a traditional Czech pastry stuffed with plums and topped with almonds. (This is what I ordered in Czech.)


Crepes filled with sautéed apples (fruit!!) Norwegian salmon in a gruyere cheese sauce topped with apple chips. (They love their crepes)
Water

Caramel Ice Cream and espresso

Another round of our delicious group made breakfast of eggs mixed with potatoes, green ,yellow and red peppers, tomatoes, and onions. And Raspberry Muesli with vanilla soymilk. Earl Gray tea. And a homemade crepe with straw berry jam. (Veggies!!!!)

Rosehip Tea to warm-up from the rain storm soaking.
Bagel sandwich and a bottomless cup of “American” filtered coffee. Made my day!

Traditional Czech meal of bread dumplings filled with bacon (picked around that,) with sweet and delicious Sauer kraut and onions. Beer.

Bed, waking up 2:30 to get on a 6am flight attempting to catch a little bit of the Oscars on a German station.


We saw so much and did so much walking! But it was so worth it, I love this city. I have so much more to tell you with lots more photos to come. Will have to be later because my computer is dying!




Hope you enjoyed my eats. I have lots of writing to do so I have next week free for Aaron and my trip to Paris!!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

1 comment:

  1. Oh Marisa, truly amazing! I am so glad you were able to visit this interesting and beautiful city! I have enjoyed learning about Prague on the internet while you were there! I am looking forward to more pictures...and of course, watching for posts from Paris!!!! I miss you...Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete