Friday, October 5, 2012

October Friday Favorite Things

We’ve had a pretty good week as Aaron got the career field he wanted in the Air Force so that means after the wedding we will be living in Texas for 7-9 months of Training. I’m very proud of him! I  will have to gear up on Texas ideas soon...

On another note: It’s been quite a while since I’ve shared a Friday Favorites with you (May I believe to be exact.) As I had a little down time for the first time in a long time and Aaron is at the gym I have a little time to share with you some of my favorite things right now.

Here it goes! Happy Fall everyone! 


Roasted Acorn Seeds- I toasted a batch of these up when I made acorn squash last week and loved them! They are so crunchy and perfect on soups, in salads, on green beans, or just as a snack. I will definitely be making these again!



Soup- It’s Fall! So that means I get to make and eat as much soup as I want! Right?
On Sunday I made Crockpot Carrot Soup which I was so impressed with. I had a lot of large carrots to use so I used roughly 15 of them and it tasted just like Butternut Squash Soup! Yes!

p.s. Another favorite thing-my crockpot. I love this thing and have been using it ever since I got it for my birthday. Thanks Nicole!


Philadelphia Lobster and Fish- Tucked into a corner shop right across the street from the Wynnefield Whole Foods Market  is a small fish market that is probably Philadelphia’s best kept secret. I did a google search yesterday for places to get sushi supplies so I could make a special congratulations meal for Aaron sometime soon. (Stay tuned for that!) I had remember seeing this market and after some rave online reviews decided to check it out. I wanted to grab Aaron something for lunch so I got a packet of sushi for him. WOWOWOW! I was so surprised how good it was! The fish was fresh and almost buttery sweet I couldn’t believe how much I liked it. For me take-away sushi is usually a miss. But this place was only $6 for an 8 piece Tropicana roll: tuna, salmon, avocado, tempura crunch. So Amazing. We might just have to come here instead of going out for sushi, ever. Again. I mean it. I can’t wait to go back as well to try their fish market which is just as highly recommended. Score!
 
Rook No. 17: New Favorite Blogger- I found Jenn’s blog “Rook No. 17” by accident when looking at another blog and a foodie pen pal post from July that I had sent. Jenn had commented how she hoped she got me for a foodie pen pal and I thought “awwww.” So I went to her blog. She turned out to be super legit!  She has lots of great recipes and craft ideas including an easy Halloween decoration I might have to try and a book giveaway running right now!  Check it out!
 
 
Plentils- Lentil Chips
I love almost anything crunchy. Haven’t you noticed how many apples I eat? Unfortunately with so many unhealthy options out there, that can definitely get a girl in trouble with fattening foods. A couple weeks ago Enjoy Life foods sent me a box of their new Plentil Chips. I had a mini crisis last week when all my pictures were deleted but I made it work. You’ll get a full review of these bad boys next week.

Some of the ways I’ve been enjoying them in the meantime:

  • Straight out of the bag
  • Crunchy topping on parmesan chicken (kind of defeats the absence of allergens concept, I realize this. But it was toooo good!)


Old photos-The only good thing about losing all of my information off my phone last week was I get to look at some of Aaron’s old pictures that replaced them. (yes, read here.)


Learning to Like: “The ACV cocktail”-What is that exactly?


So, the amazing Jenn at Peas and Crayons has been sucking down these babies for awhile so for the first time today I thought I’d give it a try. For more information on the thinking around this daily practice, check out Jenn’s post.

This is a mix of Kombucha, a fermented tea beverage with a shot of Apple Cider vinegar, and iced water. I was killing time between classes today so I decided to browse Whole Foods (which I do to torture myself with the lack of money I do not have.) I saw a bottle of kombucha (best place to find it) and decided to give it a try. I had a couple sips at school but I wanted to try the complete recipe.

Let’s just say it is an acquired taste. Jenn drinks it every day and says her skin has never been clearer! That’s definitely one reason to give it a try. But for most people this will taste sour and you won’t be able to get it down.  I’m willing to try almost any food item once and I think I’m done. I did feel full after this so I wonder if that is a benefit.

If you’d like to give it a try there are plenty of people who swear by this bandwagon.
It’s very simple:


½ Kombucha Trinity Drink + ½ glass Spring Water + 1 shot or less (1 ½ tbsp.) of Apple Cider Vinegar

Serve over ice and drink on an empty stomach. Every Day for clear skin. Let me know what you think. 

Have a good weekend! Talk to you soon!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment