Monday, November 5, 2012

Plentils Crunchy Lentil Chips


A while ago I was contacted by Enjoy Life Foods who were nice enough to send me a sampling of their new very first savory snack, crunchy lentil chips, Plentils.


I was first introduced to Enjoy Life foods after writing a review for GoPicnic and their delicious little boxes of joy. Included in one of those boxes was Enjoy Life’s Double Chocolate Cookie.


I was impressed by how chocolately it was and it was quite a treat. Did I mention it is gluten free? That’s right. Now it definitely had the grainy taste of a gluten-free cookie that I’ve became unaccustomed too but considering they’ve created a pretty tasty cookie without gluten, it didn’t take away from the experience.


My second introduction to Enjoy Life was very different. I came home to apartment with a GIANT box waiting for me. I was so excited to open it and even more excited when I saw that FOUR large bags of Plentils chips were included brightly packaged like a gift just for me.

Included were all four flavors of the newly released chips which come in Garlic Parmesan, Margherita Pizza, Sour Cream and Dill, and Light Sea Salt.



(After taking some photos) I ripped into the first bag of chips in Garlic parmesan flavor. The first thing I noticed was how crunchy these babies were. I wasn’t sure what to expect from lentil chips but I was surprisingly happy with them.





Next I sampled the Margherita Pizza and the Sour Cream and Dill. WOWOW! Talk about some flavor! This are definitely the chips for the flavor fanatics. The Pizza flavors from the Margarita are so powerful it’s like eating a pizza (without the cheese, crust, etc.) I was really impressed with the Sour Cream and Dill as well as they had a really nice tang perfect for those people who like a little zing with their crunch.


I had the Sea Salt variety last, which of course was the most subtle of the varieties. I think this was the kind of chip that everyone can enjoy while still being flavorful.

This also makes a great chip for thick spreads and dips as they won't easily crumble. The Sea Salt variety could even replace cron tortilla chips for salsa and guacamole as they airy lentil texture makes a great dipper for anything from chili to French onion dip!

Benefits:


All Enjoy Life products are free of the 8 common allergies:

 Wheat
 Dairy
 Peanuts
 Tree nuts
 Egg
 Soy
 Fish
 Shellfish

Plentils are all-natural, made from lentils that are full of protein, and have %40 less fat than most potato chips. Of course as mentioned before, they are gluten-free, and both Kosher and Halal.

This is a very crowd friendly chip! What is so great about Plentils is that whether you have allergies, want a healthier alternative to savory snacks, or just want something tasty, it is all in one bag!



Favorite Flavors: Hands down the Margherita Pizza and the Dill and Sour Cream coming in as a close second. Both chips are super flavorful and the best on their own-no dip required. The Garlic Parmesan and sea-salt are great base chips as well as for people who are not fans of “flavored” chips because really who buys “ketchup” or “pickle” flavored chips anyway?

“Downside”: I cannot judge these chips on their lack of thin crispiness. This is a pretty thick chip compared the standard potato slice. But I think that’s what makes them so versatile and great for other things other than just snacking. I used the crushed up chips as a crunchy topping on parmesan chicken. Yes, meat and dairy does defeat the purpose of an 8-allergen free chip but what’s nice about Plentils is they are for everyone, not just those people with allergies.



I couldn’t keep them away from Aaron! Always a problem.

This is a relatively a new product so let me know if you find it in stores and check their store locator! (You can find them at most Whole Foods and other grocery store nationwide. If you are interested, Enjoy Life is offering a 75 cents coupon for you try a bag of Plentils!

I can’t wait to use the sour cream and dill to make homemade fish sticks!

Let me know if you try them.

Love,

The College Cuisiner


No comments:

Post a Comment