Monday, March 4, 2013

Apple Cider Teriyaki with Chicken and Rice Noodles


Aaron and I love all types of Asian food and often we like to mix it up. I wouldn’t call it “Asian fusion” because that’s fancier than what we make but our “Korean Teriyaki” mixes all types. I stumbled across packaged rice noodles at Trader Joe’s last week and decided to give it a try. They were in the refrigerated section and came in two plastic packages. For the two of us, one 6oz. package was enough for a reasonable dinner. Of course he ate all the leftovers and wanted more!
 
I made two versions of this meal but much preferred the second which is featured here. I did a couple things differently this time.

First, while I love teriyaki sauce, I DO NOT like all of the added sugar. Most recipes call for nearly a cup of sugar for each recipe. I wanted to find a solution while still keeping the lovely tangy sweet flavor. My solution: apple cider. Now since it is winter it may be harder to find fresh apple cider for most of you. I found some at my farmer’s market. I like fresh, local apple cider with no extra sugar-just apples. Your sauce will agree. I’ve tried orange juice before but the extra citrus flavor added to much to the sauce. I wouldn’t recommend bottled “apple juice” as that has just as much sugar as…well, sugar!

If you come up with another idea let me know! But for me, the apple cider is definitely a keeper.
Second, fresh ginger and fresh chilies make the difference. I can do without the chili, (as one little one was ENOUGH spice for me,) but the ginger really makes the difference.
This is also the perfect recipe for leftover chicken if you have it. I used leftover char grilled chicken, cut up. It was perfect! But if not, I’ve listed regular chicken breast as the ingredient in this recipe.

Note: While this makes great leftovers, the noodles aren’t as nicely chewy as they are freshly cooked.
This is definitely a keeper, though. And you might want to consider making more as it’ll go fast!


Apple Cider Teriyaki with Chicken and
Korean Rice Noodles:
Makes 2-3 dinner sized portions


 
Ingredients:

6 oz. Rice Noodles
1 chicken breast, chopped into chunks (or 1 cup, chopped leftover chicken)
3-4 large carrots, julienne cut
¾ cup favorite green vegetable-green beans, broccoli, asparagus, peas etc.
4 oz. favorite mushrooms, sliced (recommended baby portabella or shitake)
3-4 green onions, chopped, separate white and green parts
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1-2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
Garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes or fresh hot peppers, chopped
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

 

Apple Cider Teriyaki Sauce: (can make ahead of time)

¼ cup soy sauce, reduced sodium
¼ cup fresh apple cider
1 tbsp. agave nectar or honey
2 tbsp. rice or white wine
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
2 tbsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped
½ tsp. chili powder

 
Directions:

To make teriyaki, add all ingredients together in a small sauce pan until heated. Set aside in a bowl. Noodles should still have a good bite.
Boil rice noodles according to the package and rinse with cold water in a colander. Set aside.
In a large pan, add olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, white parts of the onion, and ginger, over medium heat.  Sauté until onions softened then add mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms begin to brown. Add 1/4 of prepared teriyaki sauce and cook for two minutes, stirring.

Add carrots and green vegetable, along with chicken. Sauté until vegetables and chicken are cooked. Add red pepper, black pepper, and dash of garlic powder.
Add 1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds and rest of teriyaki sauce and mix well. Add rice noodles to the pan and mix until well coated in the sauce.

Serve with green onions and extra sesame seeds on top. Eat immediately while hot.

Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

1 comment: