Wednesday, March 20, 2013

WIAW #55: Quinoa Jambalaya

There is nothing like the first one or two days after a really good grocery trip. I know that sounds silly but for those who cook, you understand that it is so nice to have ingredients at your fingertips rather than scrounging for that last but if frozen peas or grain. Last week was the end of a three and a half weeks of no-grocery-shopping.



But this week was plentiful.



Here are some of those
grocery trip provided meals:

 


Rolled oats, coconut chips, blueberries, cranberries, bananas,
almond milk and almond butter, chia, agave
 

Fried egg, kale, bell pepper, onion hash. Baked potatoes, fried tomatoes
 

Butternut squash ravioli, chicken sausage, peas, squash, Parmesan
 
 

Everything bagel sandwich with tempeh, arugula, tomato,
 homemade mustard, Gouda, balsamic
 

Quinoa jambalaya, with chicken, andouille, shrimp, veggies galore
One of those nice meal experiences was this quinoa jambalaya. It has a mix of three meats: shrimp, chicken thighs, and andouille sausage (I used the chicken kind from Trader Joes.)
 
 
I used a few different vegetables as a traditional version just for the simple fact that I did not have green bell peppers or celery. But because I love veggies, I used zucchini and mushrooms instead. Try your own mix and see what you think. This is a great meal for a family gathering or friends.

Using quinoa instead of the traditional rice-in-pot was better than expected. If you are looking for a more traditional jambalaya, try this.


Quinoa Jambalaya:
 (Makes 5-6 servings)

 
 

Ingredients:

 1 cup quinoa
 2 cups chicken broth (gf)
 10-12 shrimps
 1 chicken thigh, diced
 2-3 links andouille sausage (I used the chicken variety)
 1 can (35 oz.) can of diced or plum tomatoes, chopped with liquid
 1 can (14.5) red kidney beans, rinsed
 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
 1 small yellow onion
 6 green onions, chopped and some greens separated for garnish
 3 cloves of garlic, minced
 1 cup dry red wine
 2 tbsp. hot sauce (I used sriracha)
 1 tbsp. paprika
 1tsp. Garlic powder
 2 tsp. cumin
 Red pepper flakes
 Salt and pepper to taste
 1/2 lemon, juiced
 Olive oil
 2 tbsp. butter

Directions:
Prepare rinsed and dried quinoa by toasted in medium pot for 1 minute until nutty smelling. Add 1 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes. The  take off heat, without removing lid for at least 5 minutes. Open and fluff quinoa with a fork.

Toss shrimp with a little olive oil and dash of all spices. Set aside.

Meanwhile in a large pot add 1 tbsp. olive oil and 1 tbsp. butter with garlic and yellow onion.  Sauté over medium heat, stirring for 2 minutes. Add spices, stir.

Add zucchini, mushrooms, and chicken. Sauté allowing to lightly brown. Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes. Add wine, and rest of broth (1/2 cup.)

Add hot sauce, kidney beans, and lemon. Allow to simmer lightly for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring. Season to taste. Add shrimp, mix in until pink.

Once sauce is thick and shrimp is cooked, add cooked quinoa.
 
Serve with rest of green onions on top and with a salad.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

What did you eat this week?

2 comments:

  1. Marisa, you are so right about that feeling after going shopping at the market. I was running pretty low on fresh veggies, especially green stuff, so last night I stocked up, lol.

    Your jambalaya looks great. I have YET to try quinoa, and have a couple boxes in my pantry now. So I should give this a try.

    Your meals look fantastic, even that oatmeal :)

    So glad I stopped by! Have a great day girl :)
    P.s. After coming back from an extended blogging break, I've started a 40 day challenge to get HEALTHY by my birthday. If you get a chance to check it out, I could sure use the support!
    Hugs, Bella :)
    BellaBefore and After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I love grocery shopping day! I love quinoa, I used it as rice, breakfast cereal, fried rice, etc! I love it. Check out Jenn at peas and crayons' instruction for fluffy quinoa, it's the best! Thanks for stopping by, I'll definitely stop by yours!

    ReplyDelete