Saturday, September 3, 2011

Philly: Foodie Favorites

As my crazy first week of classes comes to an end, I thought I would share with you some of my favorite things in the foodie world and beyond!

1. Today is my darling Aaron's birthday! Last night we went to Village Whiskey in Center City West/Rittenhouse Square (20th and Samson.)



We decided it would be fun to toast his birthday at midnight and check out a new place in the city. We didn’t want to toast on an empty stomach so we order Duck Fat French Fries and Fried Shrimp with Buffalo Aioli. Yum… I definitely want to come to this place for dinner!

It is a really cool spot, modeled off a prohibition bar, they specialize in their whiskey collection. I love a place with an upscale late night menu. This is definitely a good spot to come for a weekend drink and a snack. Their burgers looked incredible, (they had a veggie one for me.) and the drinks were perfect. Aaron ordered a 12 year old Scotch (Surprise surprise) and I ordered a Vodka Collins which was very refreshing!

If you are ever in Philadelphia, Village Whiskey is the perfect relaxed, yet upscale bar for a drink or meal out.) It is a pretty small place, so if you have a large group, call ahead.


2. Apples! It’s that time of the year again for crunchy, sweet, and delicious apples. Growing up in Central PA, you cannot get away from the fruit. We were 25 minutes away from the Apple Capital of the World and of course, I worked at an apple orchard!




Right before I left for school I bought a whole peck of Honeycrisp apples for myself. Look for an apple recipe next week! When apples are in season that means fall is right around the corner!

3. Fall is almost here! This has always been my favorite season, leaves, crisp air, boots, sweaters, and apple crisp. I love “Fall” food, warm and comforting, (which doesn’t necessarily have to be rich or fattening.) I cannot say enough about the season, but I cannot wait to get in the city or go to upstate New York in October with our moms. Leaves, moms, and wine tasting, what could be better?


4. My favorite Blogger of the moment: Maris from In Good Taste. Check out her recipe for Labor Day Apple Pie (I think I might try this one!)




5. Labor Day Weekend and Family! The semi-point between Summer and Fall. We are going to Aaron’s parents’ house for the rest of the weekend. My mother and sister are also going to spend the day with us on Monday. So I will be back posting on Monday! See you then and hope you have a great weekend!

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment