Thursday, September 22, 2011

Philly: Turkey Sausage and Mushroom Stromboli

With school back in full swing I am finding it harder and harder to consistently sit down and blog. With that, I must announce that for the foreseeable future I will be planning to blog at least 3 times a week rather than my 5-6 times a week I began with. It is especially hard for me to blog before Wednesday since I have a weekly history class which requires over 300 pages of reading and an 8 page paper EVERY CLASS. That's just nuts. But since I start reading for this class on Saturday and barely get done by Wednesday, I had to make this decision. So, you can come to expect a Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and often Sunday post from me but usually on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, I'm just too darn busy!


But here is a recipe for Turkey sausage and mushroom Stromboli I made for Aaron and I this week. This was relatively easy, and he loved it, so much that he became legitimately sad when I decided to eat my full portion and not leave it to him. Well, a girl has got to eat too!


A good way to make a quick meal is to buy a frozen pizza dough or frozen bread loaf for the Stromboli. Yeah college shortcuts!


This recipe is for one giant Stromboli which gave about five-six slices (but was only enough for the two of us.)

To make it stretch out a little, serve with a salad and don't invite a guy who is essentially a trash-disposal.

Turkey Sausage and Mushroom Stromboli: 5 slices

Ingredients:
1 frozen pizza crust or frozen bread loaf
1 package of fresh mushrooms (8 oz.)
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 sausage links, cut into small pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup shredded Mozzarella
½ cup grated Parmesan
1 jar tomato sauce
Pepper
Garlic salt
Olive oil
Flour
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil and minced garlic.

Add onions and begin to brown.

Add mushrooms and brown with the onions.

Once the vegetables are browned, add sausage and brown until completely cooked.


Remove from heat.


Drizzle olive oil on a baking sheet and sprinkle with flour.


Stretch out thawed pizza dough and stretch into a large rectangle on the baking sheet, add flour to help stretch.



Spoon about 5 tbsp. of tomato sauce onto the center of the pizza crust.


Sprinkle half of the grated parmesan onto of the sauce.


Spoon the entirety of the sausage mushroom mixture onto the pizza crust.


Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and add a little more sauce.

Fold sides of dough up and into the center and pinch together.


Sprinkle with a little more parmesan and drizzle with a little olive oil.


Place Stromboli into the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.


Slice into five slices.


Heat up sauce for dipping and serve! (makes great leftovers...if there is any left!)

Have you ever made stromboli before? What kind?

Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment