Thursday, September 8, 2011

Philly: Labor Day Weekend

As school comes back into full swing, sadly it has been difficult to fit in blogging. I mean what kind of teacher assigns 100 pages of reading for one night?

Between insane homework loads, meetings, and soon to be work, my plate is quickly filling up with more than my recipes! Still, I am always cooking and creating! I will catch you up on this week’s recipes including Chicken and Spinach Pita Pizzas, Crab Cakes, and Baked Parmesan Fries.

First I wanted to recount my Labor Day Weekend. Believe it or not, this is the longest period of time in which I did none of the cooking! (3 days, but still.) Saturday, being Aaron’s birthday, we drove to his parents’ house for a birthday meal and some wonderful company.

Waiting for us was a beautiful homemade manicotti with turkey sausage. So good…



Along with the manicotti we had a toss salad with blue cheese dressing from Market, and sautéed asparagus.



I am going to have to get the manicotti recipe for  future enjoyement.



Of course a birthday isn’t a birthday without dessert. Aaron’s mom convinced the local baker to make Aaron’s favorite, Chocolate Cream Pie. This was the first time I had actually had this pie. Wow was it good!



Shortbread crust, light but satisfying chocolate mousse filing and topped with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings.


Let’s just say the pie didn’t last very long. I am definitely going to have to attempt this soon!


Afterwards we went for a birthday drink and the next day we visited Valley Forge. This was a nice break from the ordinary.

Of course I cannot forget Sunday’s lunch: Chicken cutlet sandwich with bell peppers, broccoli rabe, prosciutto, and sharp provolone. This was so big we had our sandwiches for dinner too!

On Monday both Aaron’s mom and mine came down to Philly to continue the celebration. Where did he want to go? Cuba Libre of course! So what if we had been there the previous Monday, it is pretty amazing and there is always something new to try. With our table of six (us, moms, my sister and her boyfriend) we ordered a lot and enjoyed it all. Not to mention the mojitos: Classic, Mango, and Passion Fruit (my favorite.)

Aaron was spoiled with his birthday gifts which included a Bulova watch from me that I have been hiding for two months. My mother gave him Lump Crab meat, rib eye steaks, 12 year old Jameson, guess who gets to cook it? His mom got him a beautiful flask with his family crest, and more of course. Mackenzie actually gave him a pretty sizable bottle of Patron Gold. This boy is spoiled!

After a quick IKEA trip and relaxing, for dinner we ordered some of the best pizza I have ever had. (Think cheese first, then sauce, it will change your life.) I can’t think of the name off hand, but we will be getting this again. If you’ve read my blog before, you know I love pizza, but I rarely order out, rather make my own.

That’s how I went three days without lifting a spatula. But don’t worry, I was back to it Tuesday.


Mackenzie's cat: this cannot be comfortable!


Check back tomorrow for a new pita pizza recipe that’s worth trying for a quick weekday meal.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment