Thursday, September 1, 2011

Philly: Scrambled Eggs Florentine

With this post, you may have been noticing a trend with my past three recipes. What do they have in common? They either involve Turkey Sausage, spinach, Swiss or Parmesan cheese. How come? Well, as a college student on a budget, I find that splitting packages of items and few ingredients at a time saves me money. And right now, I need all the cash I can get.
So as I get down to the end of my supplies, I bring you what I have deemed, “Scrambled Eggs Florentine.” (Which makes it sound fancier than it is!)
This is one of those recipes where I said to myself, “what do I have in my refrigerator?’
Eggs, spinach, turkey sausage, and cheese. A.k.a: Dinner.
One of my favorite diners back home makes “crazy eggs," which is a mix of vegetables, eggs, and hash browns.
For an easy dinner I made my own version of crazy eggs, and instead made Scrambled Eggs Florentine.
In College Student fashion, breakfast for dinner can be pretty satisfying, especially on a budget.

Scrambled Eggs Florentine: 2 Servings


Ingredients:
5 Eggs (I used 4, but I think 5 would be better)
3 Turkey Sausage links, roughly chopped
½ Bag of Fresh Spinach
2 slices Swiss cheese, chopped up
¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1 Small White Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
Fresh Pepper and Salt
Optional: Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (I only used a little to give it a nice kick)

Directions:


Melt two tablespoons butter in a medium-large pan over medium heat.


Lightly brown the chopped onions and sausage in the pan.


Once onions are browned and sausage is browning and almost cooked through, add spinach, pepper, ½ tsp. Garlic powder, red pepper, and dash of salt.



In a bowl, beat 5 eggs and dash of Worcestershire Sauce with fresh pepper.


Once sausage is cooked and spinach is cooked, evenly pour egg mixture in the pan. Let the eggs begin to settle in the pan.


Once the edges of the eggs begin to brown, scramble the eggs and sausage mixture.




Once the eggs are cooked, turn off the heat but keep the pan on the burner. Sprinkle both cheeses on top of the scrambled eggs and let it melt.




Split up eggs and serve with toast.

Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'll definitely try this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This is a great way to impress people with a meal without really trying! Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete