Friday, August 24, 2012

Homemade Basil Pesto

I love pesto, it’s probably my favorite. And there’s so many things pesto is good for especially at the end of summer when the basil is growing like weeds in the garden.


For my birthday weekend my mother brought me a giant vase of fresh basil from her garden. Oh what an inconvenience! NOT!


I love pesto on pasta, pizza, in aioli, on a spoon and most of all with fresh bread. If you want to soak up the last days of summer food try fresh pesto on a caprese salad or just as a dressing on big ripe tomatoes and fresh arugula. Makes my mouth water just thinking of it.


Like this margarita Panini with homemade pesto.


You are probably seeing/seen a lot of pesto recipes out there. I hope you like this one, because I like my garlic!

Homemade Basil Pesto: 2 cups
 
 

Ingredients:

4 cups of packed fresh basil
5 garlic cloves
½ cup of pine nuts
2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 tbsp. lemon juice to taste
½ tsp of lemon zest
Sea Salt
Black Pepper


Directions:

In a blender or food processor grind pine nuts, garlic, basil and 1/3 cup of olive oil. Grind until smooth adding oil as needed to grind up all the basil.

Add a little salt and pepper at a time to taste and zest and lemon juice.

Add remaining oil and cheese. Blend for a few seconds.

Tip from the Food Network: If you want to freeze the pesto put in a freezer-safe container and pour remaining oil over top. Wait to add cheese until thawed.

Store in an air tight container for one week or freeze. Eat on just about anything and enjoy!

Love

The College Cuisiner


Pesto Playlist:

Walnut Tree-Keane
Sunday Love- Etta James
Black Bird-The Beatles
Ask-The Smiths
Car Crash-Matt Nathanson
When Did We Stop Talking?- The Arcadian Kicks

No comments:

Post a Comment