Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WIAW #37: Homemaade Peach Tea

Another Wednesday has come today… be glad and sing! (Do that while humming please.)

On other news as I told you on Monday, Aaron and I are mostly moved in to our studio apartment in Philadelphia. All we need now are chairs and curtains.

My mother bought us sheets and towels at the Buy One, Get One for $1 at Kohl’s.

Yes, I know I need these things after three years of college? Well, after three years my zebra cream and brown towels smelled and I never had a pair of matching sheets let alone nice ones. Since we have to single mattresses we needed nice matching sheets.

Do you even realize how hard it is to find twin sheets above 300 thread count? Nearly impossible, seriously. Apparently in America, people (parents) could care less what their young children and college students are sleeping on.  For practical reasons such as spills and washing, I get that. But really? No college student ever asked for nice sheets?

But luckily 400 thread count sheets in Camel were found in Kohl’s after three different visits to JCPenny’s and even Target! Yes, Target has Organic sheets but not over a 300 count. Kohl’s to the rescue baby.

And towels of course. Quick dry for Aaron as even since I’ve know him I’ve found still-wet towels bundled into a heap all over his apartment, his room at his parents, who knows his locker at his ROTC detachment probably has the same thing. THANK GOD I don’t have to clean those abominable things EVER.

It’s my own fault, I got myself into this!

But then again….he has taste. Thanks again God, really, thank you.

Oops….time for eats….here’s what we ate from our moving weekend and my Monday at work (my last week! yAy!) I'll have stay my Summer staples this week would have to be peaches! So delicious.





Friday

Had to take the train back from Harrisburg to Philadelphia because after moving from 8am to 9pm on Thursday I had to go back to work for the day and deal with my morning train being 45 MINUTES late!



So here’s what we had for dinner when I got back. We went to our favorite restaurant, Al a Maison in Ardmore, PA. Great food, BYOB and free parking! LOVE.


Shared a charcuterie plate with four cheeses, three poultry based pâtés, and saucisson for Aaron with bread. That was enough! Now entrees needed!

We split a bottle of wine (too sweet for my taste but you can’t complain when your fiancé buys you wine. That’s bad manners.) I drank it anyways so not that sweet I guess!


While we were very full from cheese and pate we had to split a dessert. Luckily that Night’s special was Peach Cobbler Al a mode. And oh man was it good! Tender peaches, crumbly crust, raspberry sauce, and delicious vanilla ice cream.



I got a decaf café au lait and he got Earl Gray tea (Mighty Leaf!)

Hey not bad price for a nice meal out since we skipped the entrees and just went for the cheese! Nom nom.


Saturday


Made a nice English inspired breakfast at Lisa’s.

Juggling taking care of Lisa’s “cat” in Exton and moving parts of the apartment in slowly we had no food since breakfast so we went to a Asian Bistro in Wynnewood (Mainline) we had never been too. Good prices, great food.


Started with some young coconut water. YUM! No wonder coconut milk is so delicious.

Entrees split:


Mango and Shrimp with brown rice


Chicken Lettuce cups: sautéed chicken, mushrooms, water chestnuts, crunchy noodles in lettuce cups with plum sauce. Over the top!


Lots of leftovers making lunch on Sunday on my apartment floor with a beer.

Monday
Breakfast


Coffee and cream,
black cherry 0% Chobani Greek yogurt with two Chunks of Energy Goji Berry crushed up!

Lunch


My mom’s homemade red curry chicken over basmati rice. So good!



Iced Water with cucumbers and a donut peach


Later: Cucumber and Mint tea with agave nectar (last of my Conscious Box tea bags)

Dinner
(not pictured oops)

Homemade chicken piccata over rice and sautéed asparagus

 


Homemade peach iced tea with Mighty leaf Ginger Peach iced tea


After an exhausting weekend and good eats I need some sleep!

But first I know you want to know more about that iced tea (and probably the Thai my mother made)


As for the tea, I’ve been dying to make the tea sample from Mighty Leaf I received in my Conscious Box and few weeks ago. I wanted make something really nice with it. Since I had two peaches that needed to be used, I got to work.


First to make it sweet I made a ginger peach simple syrup and then added it to the tea. For a grown-up drink add a splash of triple sec and a little vodka or brandy to each glass.



Either way you get a lightly sweet, crisp summer drink that is just what you needed! Adjust the simple syrup quantity for your own tastes and preferences, but try it out!


Homemade Ginger Peach Iced Tea:
Makes 2 liters of tea



Ingredients:

1 Mighty Leaf Iced tea, tea bag in Ginger Peach
32 oz. of boiled water
1 liter plus more ice
1 cup of sugar or preferred sweetener
1 cup water
2 ripe yellow peaches, pitted and cut into small pieces
4 thin rounds of fresh ginger
Lemon for garnish

Optional:

Peach for garnish
Favorite spirits



Directions:

In a kettle bring a little more than a liter of cold fresh water to a near boil.

In a heat proof pitcher, add water to tea bag and seep for 4-5 minutes. Once tea bag is take out add about a liter of ice cubes and stir.

Meanwhile in a small saucepan mix cup of water and sugar. Add ginger and cut peaches until and cook until sugar is dissolved. Boil until mixture sticks to spoon.

Strain peaches and ginger out of the syrup, crushing into the strainer, adding the syrup straight into the tea.

Stir syrup and tea well. In glasses add sweetened tea to a few ice cubes, small slice of lemon and peach. Add spirits add this time and stir.



Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

11 comments:

  1. I don't think there is anything more quintessentially summer than peach iced tea. It look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it was so nice a crisp for a hot summer day!

      Delete
  2. Cafe au laits are the best. I got addicted to them in Quebec, and I haven't stopped since. The only thing better is probably your peach iced tea. Your photo of the peaches on the skillit made my eyes water... because my mouth was watering... something clever about my eyes being bigger than my stomach...

    either way. Happy WIAW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the French do it best! But hey if it is making you water better make it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, everything looks so darn tasty! I noticed you said you had to take the train from Harrisburg to Philly. Are you from Harrisburg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm from a small town right outside Harrisburg but I work in the city during the summer at the State Museum. Are you from around Harrisburg originally?

      Delete
  4. Those are some fine lookin' eats!
    I also nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much that makes my day! And yes, I had a week of eats...

      Delete
  5. I know that I’m supposed to comment on what you ate but holy crap, the towels. My boyfriend has the exact opposite problem - he hangs his wet towels EVERYWHERE. On the weirdest things. We have a ladder in the house for construction.. new towel hanger. He will put them on clothes hangers and hang them from the window sill. I just had to give you a big amen sista to "It’s my own fault, I got myself into this! But then again….he has taste. Thanks again God, really, thank you.”

    But about the food. Peach tea? such a good summer staple.


    Also.. I didn’t even think about it before, do you know Sharon Hess from the State Museum?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha so funny! Men! Yeah I know Sharon! Not well but we see each other around. very funny.

      Delete
  6. You had me at homemade peach tea...Yum! I am a sucker for tea. Come and check out my homemade lemon iced tea...http://inherchucks.com/2012/01/09/lemon-iced-tea/.

    Thanks for sharing. Happy WIAW!

    ReplyDelete