Monday, August 13, 2012

Orange Pineapple Salsa

Over the weekend Aaron and I found ourselves alone for dinner and not too keen on going out to buy something. So I looked through the fridge and came up with an idea. We had oranges, we had a green bell pepper, and we had shrimp. I thought, would shrimp tacos with orange salsa be good?


I first cut open this minneola orange my mother had in the fridge. Never had one? Me neither and I must say, best. orange. ever. I looked it up and found out it is a cross between and tangerine and a grapefruit and in my opinion is the most flavorful, sweet tangy orange I've ever had. WOW.

But I needed something else in this salsa so in fact we did ended up running to the store but luckily only for three things.

I decided I needed to add more to this salsa. How about pineapple? Good idea! Definitely some cilantro and red onion. Perfect.

So after a bit of chopping and testing I came up with a really delicious salsa to put on top of the shrimp I learned from here. (except this time I did the shrimp in sriracha aioli with a little lime and cilantro.) Yum.


If you make these tacos, I recommend grilling or baking your tortillas with some garlic infused olive oil.

If you just make thing salsa, I recommend grabbing a fork or spoon and eating it plain. Seriously. But after we ate, my mother and Dave came home and had the brilliant idea to put this salsa on top of pulled pork. I don't eat pork but I was told it was pretty incredible. But I mean its pineapple, oranges, garlic, onion, and cilantro on top of pork...what wouldn't be delicious about that combination? So if you are thinking about doing a roast pork or grilling it instead, consider my orange pineapple salsa on top.


Orange Pineapple Salsa 
Makes about 4 cups of chunky salsa




Ingredients:


3 minneola or navel oranges
4 small rounds of fresh pineapple (about 1 cup)
1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 of a lime, add more if needed
2 tablespoon of orange zest
1/2 tsp. of lime zest
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped (add more if desired)
2 tablespoon chili infused olive oil
1 tsp. sriracha hot chili sauce
1/2 tsp at a time of white vinegar to taste
sea salt


Directions:

Peel rind of oranges and de-segment slices. Try to cut as much of the white flesh away and cut into large chunks. Cut pineapple rounds into the same size chunks.

In a medium bowl add zests, oil, pinch of salt, and garlic, and mix together.

Add cut oranges, pineapple, peppers, onion, and cilantro. Mix well. Taste salsa and add sriracha and vinegar to taste. Refrigerate salsa for 30 minutes. Adjust salt, cilantro, and lime juice if needed.

Serve on chips, pulled pork, shrimp tacos or just on a spoon headed towards your mouth!

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE pineapple salsa but wouldn’t have considered adding orange! Shrimp tacos sound so good, too! Perhaps dinner this week.

    ReplyDelete