Thursday, October 13, 2011

Philly: Chicken, Broccoli and Sweet Potato Bake

Sweet Potatoes Part II (For Part I see: Sweet Potato and Spinach Orzo)
With a still significant supply of sweet potatoes hanging around in my pantry, I had to come up with something else to do with them. Of course, This meal did not use up my stash so look out for Sweet Potato Fries coming soon!
When I made this meal, my choices to accompany the sweet potatoes were either a head of broccoli or a package of mushrooms. I wanted to save the mushrooms for another meal and the broccoli was at the point where I was looking at my last chance to use it.
So voila! Sweet Potato and Broccoli Bake with Chicken. I love the tasty of broccoli when it is baked and I thought that if I could come up with a flavorful broth I could get the two flavors to mix quite well. I mixed white wine, chicken broth and fresh garlic to really pull together the flavors.


Ever since my mother gave me my first set of casserole dishes less than a month ago, I have been going casserole dish crazy. It is just so easy to throw a bunch of ingredients in a casserole dish, bake and pull out to eat. With that in mind I thought a vegetable and chicken bake would go really well over rice.
And that’s how I made dinner.
Overall this was actually quite tasty and satisfying, I probably should have used a few more sweet potatoes to use them up but I didn’t want to overpower the equal broccoli to sweet potato ratio. Try it for you self for a meal that brings you into Autumn with the uber healthy sweet potatoes and broccoli.
Break out your casserole dish, it’s time to party.
Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potato Bake: About 3 servings

Ingredients:
1 Chicken breast, cut into large chunks
1 had of broccoli, chopped well
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2-3 sweet potatoes, thinly sliced into rounds (this is to make sure they cook through and absorb the broth)
1 cup Chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt, pepper and garlic powder
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


In a large casserole dish, layer the sweet potatoes, onions and broccoli.

Place chunks of chicken on top of the vegetables, spread out.

Sprinkle vegetables and chicken with pepper, salt, and garlic powder.

Mix the chicken broth, wine, and garlic together, pour the mixture evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Take aluminum foil off and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken is completely cooked and lightly brown and vegetables are soft.


Pull out the oven and spoon chicken, vegetables and the remaining broth over cooked rice.


Serve and enjoy an easy weekday meal.
Love,
The College Cuisiner
What’s your favorite meal in a casserole dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment