Thursday, October 27, 2011

Philly: October Favorites

This being my 61st post, I wanted to do a “favorites” as a type of celebration for this "milestone." Since July I have been writing about recipes, restaurants, and adventures. I have been very lucky to have some great readers and you are what keeps me writing. While once back in college my days have become full of reading, I am always cooking. I hope you are too!
This brings me to some my favorite things:

If you have stopped by the Cuisiner before, you know that I LOVE FALL! When the weather begins to get slightly chilly I am all for spending afternoons around the various shops and spots here in Philadelphia.
Last Saturday, just to get out of the house, Aaron and I went to Suburban Square in Ardmore (Main Line) to window shop. It is a great upscale outside shopping center with lots of unique shops along with the more established places.
I have wanted to check out the Ardmore Farmer’s Market in Suburban Square for awhile now. Let’s just say it won’t be my last trip. The market is relatively small but everything is high quality which makes it super fun for me. Along with a DiBruno Brothers (originally of Italian Market fame), the market holds three bakeries, a pretty incredible pizza shop, a great “by-the-lb.” Asian food stand, a great seafood and butcher, and of course a produce stand. Not to mention my weakness- Mennonite soft pretzels (no one in the world make better pretzels than the Amish and the Mennonites.)
To say the least I was in heaven. Of course, the prices have to be reasonable, which they are! And due to its incredible close proximity to Trader Joe’s, this will now be a staple of my food shopping.

2. Jalapeños

When my surrogate sister Amanda came over for my mother’s birthday dinner last week back home, she brought with her bags of her own homegrown jalapeños. I couldn’t wait to try them! (Look for tomorrow’s post)
This spicy green pepper is a lot more versatile than you might think. While jalapeños are traditionally used in Latin cooking, they are definitely not constrained to it. These little guys can pack quite a powerful kick but when cooked down they reveal a subtle spiciness that adds to many dishes. Try it yourself!

3. Plaid

I might be a foodie but I also LOVE fashion, even if I can never afford it! For me plaid is one of those staples that never goes out of style. While I have my own favorite plaid skirt already, I couldn’t resist taking a second look at this one from Brooks Brothers. But sadly, all I can do is look…

4. Cheese Plates

The cheese plate is making a comeback in my apartment. When we went to the Farmer’s market I splurged on a very small piece of “fancy” cheese and some nice black pepper crackers. Along with the jar of homemade quince paste my sister gave me a few weeks ago, we were in business. I have been waiting to try this quince paste but I never broke down and actually bought the cheese and crackers to go with it. So for a “pre-dinner” snack on Sunday, Aaron and I scarfed down this delicious cheese plate like we haven’t eaten in weeks. But then again, that’s how we eat every meal. Every once in a while it is okay to buy nice cheese. When I win the lottery, I am going to buy a cheese company just for my private use because that isn’t excessive at all!

5. Crayons!!

On Saturday I took part in my school’s community service day awaiting the exciting prospect of doing yard work for the local library. Alas when we arrived, no one was to be seen so we headed back to the school and spent a few hours making “Fall” cards for nursing home residents. If you are saying to yourself, “what is a Fall card?” You are most likely not alone. Basically we drew pretty fall scenes and wrote inside, “Happy Fall!”
I still think my saying was the best: “As the weather grows colder, may your heart grow warmer…Happy Fall!”
I know, Genius.

One of my group member's beautiful Fall cards.
Through this whole endeavor I remember how much I LOVE crayons. I think I might have to buy a box.

6. Coffee Cups

Along with the artistic theme, a current “pastime” of mine has become drawing on my coffee cups once I have finished my latte from my favorite neighborhood coffee shop, Town Hall Coffee. This can has proved to be a welcome relief during my 3 HOUR SEMINAR CLASS! Basically I draw on them and then proceed to throw them away. It’s kind of sad, but how many empty artistic coffee cups can a girl really keep without looking crazy…probably one.

7. My current playlist: “Oldies” but goodies.
Speed of Sound- Coldplay
Bittersweet Symphony- The Verve
Let Go- Frou Frou
Free Fallin’- John Mayer
Wonderwall- Ryan Adams
Sundress- Ben Kweller
Secret Smile- Semisonic
Thanks for stopping by for my 61st post! And hope to see you for my upcoming posts this weekend on Jalapeño poached salmon and Sheppard’s Pie! (Separately of course.)
As always, enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

2 comments:

  1. Good choices on your play list! I'm obsessed with these black pepper water crackers with cheese (normally cambozola) and honey. I wish I had that as a snack right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The cheese was a new kind for me: piave vecchio. I love using honey with my cheese plates especially when I have grapes. I'm out of it right now and I refuse to buy grocery store honey!

    ReplyDelete