Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Philly: Tuna Noodle Casserole

Okay, you might be saying to yourself, tuna noodle casserole? How is that a creative recipe? And to tell the truth, it really isn't. In fact, the reason this is dish is so good in my opinion is that it is very predictable. I know what I am going to get from tuna noodle casserole. It is much like a favorite movie or a classic book, it will never change, but you might learn something new when you come back to it.


Such as, this dish is incredibly satisfying and easy! I mean come on, not all of us can be gourmet cooks every night… not even me.


 I know it's a shock. But since it was so good I wanted to share it with you so that maybe if you haven't made this classic dish in a while, you'll reconsider it when you find that you really have nothing in your refrigerator.


If you think about it, tuna noodle casserole is not a "refrigerator meal." In fact in is almost entirely a "pantry meal." Canned tuna, Cream of Mushroom soup, and egg noodles, (plus frozen peas which everyone always has.)


While "googling" some recipes I stumbled upon many versions of this classic and many were a little "too adventurous" when it came to this particular dish. So when I came upon the version on the StarKist website, it seemed too perfect.


Of course, I wouldn't be me if I didn’t make some minor alterations. I mean really, what did you expect?


I added a cheesy panko breading and onions, that's about it, but I think it made the difference. The recipe also called for two cans of tuna, but I only had one on hand. Aaron actually said he preferred this version and two can of tuna would be "too fishy." Thankfully, it isn't too hard to please that boy.

Easy, simple meals can often be the most satisfying especially after a long week! So I hope you enjoy my grown-up easy Friday night Tuna Noodle Casserole.

Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole: 4 servings
(Adapted recipe from StarKist)


Ingredients:
1 can of StarKist White Albacore Tuna
6 oz. (half a bag) of No-Yolk Egg noodles
1 can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup of frozen peas
1 small-medium onion, roughly chopped
½ cup low-fat milk
1 tsp. garlic powder
Pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
¾ cup of seasoned Panko breading (or plain with garlic salt, dried basil, pepper)
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.




Boil a pot of salted water and then cook egg noodles for 9 minutes.




With 5 minutes left, add chopped onions and boil with noodles.





With 2 minutes left, add frozen peas and boil with noodles and onions. (Drain together)




In a separate bowl mix mushroom soup, milk, pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, mix together.




Once noodles are cooked and drain, stir in drained tuna in pot.


Add soup mix and 1/2 cup of cheese, and mix all together.




Transfer mixture into a 2 qt. baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.




Pull casserole out of oven, keeping oven on.
 


Evenly top with panko breading.




Top with cheese. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.




 Once casserole is gold brown and cheese is bubbly, remove from the oven.


Serve with salad or just a big plate by itself.
Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner
Do you have a favorite easy, comfort casserole?


2 comments:

  1. After seeing this post I've had tuna noodle casserole on the brain. I finally made it tonight. It is my all time favorite comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's the perfect comfort food for cold weather! I need to make your pumpkin scones soon they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete