Wednesday, December 7, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday #4: Grapefruit Sunrise Smoothie

Being the last week of classes, I have been so crunched for time. I even missed Glee last night to write a paper! I know, crazy. But don’t worry; I watched it on Hulu over lunch. Crisis averted!
But as I always say, a girl has got to eat regardless! Enjoy my late WIAW!

http://www.peasandcrayons.com/

So here’s what I ate:


Breakfast:
Grapefruit Sunrise Smoothie from Healthy. Happy. Life.


Lunch:
Homemade Mediterranean Salad (Kalamata olives, plum tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, onions, balsamic and garlic.) with Lebanese Pita bread
Pink Lady Apple and Peanut Butter (Becoming a standard now.)
Three glasses of water


Dinner:
Turkey Sausage, Sautéed Kale and Onions, in a homemade tomato sauce over rice.
Green tea
This was definitely a day of good eats. I made the Mediterranean salad the night before to go with baked salmon and couscous. (There were 4 oz. frozen salmon filets for a $1 each, had to get them!) I made extra of the salad and I’m glad I did. Aaron was so in love with this, I made some for his lunch too. So easy and so good. (Look for it this weekend) It was great with my favorite pita too, I felt like I was a Marrakesh (a Philly Moroccan restaurant where you eat everything with pita instead of plates or utensils.)
Apples and peanut butter has become my standard lately but it is such a great snack to take to work with me that I cannot resist.
Dinner was one on my pull-out-of-no-where dinners but it was pretty good. Unfortunately, Aaron left the leftovers out all night, so it was not an option for lunch. I will say nothing, only he does the dishes so I have no room to complain.
I found this “detox” breakfast smoothie when looking for a recipe for my Quinoa breakfast bowl and I just had to try it! It was definitely on the tangy side but delicious. I did get this recipe from an awesome vegan site but don’t be thrown off by the avocado. It adds in a lot of good nutrients and you really can even taste it. This one is definitely worth a try. The recipe called for 1 cup of grapefruit juice but I just used an entire peeled and segmented grapefruit so it was probably even tangier but I like grapefruit. For less tangy smoothie, use less grapefruit and more banana.
What’s nice about this recipe is that it makes two large smoothies so I froze the rest for the next days’ breakfast. Perfect!

Grapefruit Sunrise Smoothie: 2 large smoothies

Ingredients:
½ avocado
1 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh grapefruit juice (or just the whole darn thing!)
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 banana
4 ice cubes
Directions:
Blend very well and enjoy! This is definitely a good fiber smoothie for your own “holiday detox.”
Love,
The College Cuisiner
P.s. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for a Le Creuset Gratin Dish!! The contest is open until December 23rd. Go to the giveaway post and follow the instructions! Thanks for entering!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love grapefruit, and that smoothie sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete