Wednesday, December 28, 2011

WIAW #7: Christmas 2011 Part I

Isn’t it funny that even Christmas can be transformed by what is on your plate?


http://www.peasandcrayons.com/
  Here's What I ate for Christmas:
We had a wonderful Christmas Eve and Day with the family.


Every Christmas Eve we spend the day with my mother’s immediate family and this year we made our own ravioli!


Now, I know what you’re thinking, “make your own ravioli? Her family is as crazy as she is!” Well, it was all my sister’s doing.

Mackenzie spent five hours making dough and the rest of us made the different fillings including Butternut Squash and Sage, Meat, Ricotta and Spinach, and Mushroom and Olive. 


We even had a sauce station with Vodka, Buerre Blanc, and Shrimp Alfredo Sauces.


It hindsight it would have been easier to make the ravioli ahead of time then have everyone make their own, but it was an experience.


And it was delicious.


For Christmas Day after church and opening presents, we had a lovely brunch:

Scrambled egg tortilla wraps with fresh dill, dill havarti cheese, smoked salmon, and red onion
Potatoes O’Brien with tomatoes, green onions, and currant balsamic reduction

Fresh fruit salad with strawberries, pineapple, and oranges
Mimosas with my own homemade cranberry syrup
Homemade Pumpkin Roll

 

Between meals we watched a couple episodes of the Downton Abbey series I got mom for Christmas. During the break we drank tea, mine from my new Tardis mug and munched on the most amazing homemade chocolate and lavender honey Madeleine cookies that our friend, Laetitia brought over for Christmas. If I die and go to cookie heaven, I would live in a house made out of these cookies and live on them for subsistence. I’m not exaggerating.
We finally made dinner for a delightful end to this year’s Christmas:

Lisa’s homemade Manicotti with chicken sausage (she gets us.)
Homemade Tuscan Kale Caesar Salad (Recipe below.)
Fresh Olive Bread

Winter White Martinis (recipe coming this week. Perfect for New Year’s!)

We were so blessed to have a beautiful Christmas with family and friends, it was a great send-off for me since I leave for London in less than a week. More on my freak out later.
As for this Kale Caesar Salad, I started making it last Christmas after seeing it on a rare viewing of the Rachel Ray Show where Christina Hendrick, from Mad Men showed her recipe for the salad. I immediately wanted to try it and I’m glad I did. This instantly became one of our favorites and sadly I don’t make it as often as I should. I love this and the dressing recipe is super easy and delicious. I hope you make it for a special occasion or just a Wednesday night when you are craving a delicious salad. Yes, Caesar dressing is a little on the decadent side but it is worth it. I usually add a little less anchovy paste than Christina, but it’s up to you. (P.s. I recommend a double recipe because you will want more for later.) And definitely use Kale, NOT lettuce, the Kale makes it and at least gives it a healthy factor.

Tuscan Kale Caesar Salad: About 6 side servings

Ingredients:
Two heads of Kale
Your favorite Garlic croutons
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. anchovy paste
3 cloves Garlic, minced (adjust to your taste.)
½ cup Parmesan Cheese
1 egg and one yolk boiled for 45 seconds (to set the egg to limit bacteria, recommended.)
Dash of Worcestershire
Ground pepper
Kosher or sea salt (dash of oregano is good too.)
Extra Parmesan cheese to top



Directions:
Wash and tear Kale and place in a large serving bowl.
Whisk lemon juice, anchovy paste, garlic, cheese, egg, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire in a small bowl. Mix dressing into the Kale. Serve the salad on plates and top with croutons and extra parmesan cheese.

Enjoy! Happy Wednesday!
Love,
The College Cuisiner
P.S. Thanks again to everyone who helped so much during my giveaway and congratulations again to Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats who won the giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment