Wednesday, January 11, 2012

WIAW #8: Oven Baked Onion Rings

As my first full week in London begins, I finally started classes this week! And yes why most college students wouldn’t find this to be exciting, I’m just happy to get back into a routine again!
Currently I am only breathing out of one nostril so I’ll have to go see the chemist (pharmacist) later. I am also finally taking advantage of my university’s wifi since our house has “limited” internet access that is quickly eaten up by daily 1 hour Skype calls from Aaron. But when I try to hang up, he pouts. But hey, there are definitely worst things than having a fabulous boyfriend back home that is missing you and draining your internet in the process. Totally worth it.
So in midst of preparing an argument for why the monarchy and the British crown is still viable and compatible with the British democracy, I eat.
http://www.peasandcrayons.com/

I was so sad to miss WIAW last week, especially since it was the 50th WIAW over at Peas and Crayons. But today I am back in full swing with what I ate Wednesday in London. I’m trying the English ways of talking about food.

Breakfast
Tea with “semi-skimmed” milk and a dash of sugar
Bowl of Honey nut corn flakes (yes, not cheerios)
One Peach Activia “Snackpot” yoghurt


Lunch
Homemade chicken salad sandwich on wheat bread with arugula
Handful of caramelized onion and balsamic crisps
Half a bottle (one glass) of Ribena Black Currant juice. Mhmmm…

Tea Time
(Oh yeah, I can now count this as a separate meal time! Yes!)
Tea, milk and sugar
Three dark chocolate digestive biscuits



Dinner
Arugula salad with 1 scoop of chicken salad, oven roasted tomatoes and mushrooms, 1 boiled egg, shaved parmesan
Homemade baked onion rings via Baking Bad/For the Love of Cooking
More Ribena
Water

Dessert
Mug of Cadbury drinking chocolate



I’m back baby! The only downside of being me in London is dealing with food-envy from all of my house mates. Every time I have dinner they tell me I have to teach them all how to cook. Probably because they are spending money on pre-made meals every night so far, and I make something like this….


I love this reusable sandwich “wrap” and snack bag my sister got me for Christmas! They’re amazing! The inside is reusable, wipe-able food safe plastic covered by pretty fabric. These are so useful if you take you lunches to work to school. They are great for kids’ lunches too! Mackenzie’s friend in Philadelphia made them, and I pretty much think they are the coolest thing ever and I am glad I have two sets!


I will definitely make a dinner salad like this again, but one of the best parts were the homemade baked onion rings. Wow! Now, I cannot take credit for these, so please check out Baking Bad’s version/For the Love of Cooking. These were so good but mine came out a little dry either because I forgot to add milk to my egg mixture or I used white onions instead of yellow. Does that matter? It is also a possibility that my attempt to convert degrees into Celsius failed miserably and I dried these babies out. But the best parts were the middles of the onions that turned on sot and juicy and not as dry and the rings. These are good by themselves, but would hurt being dipped in something or eaten in a salad like I did. Baking Bad’s recipe called for Italian panko bread crumbs but all I had were golden ones that were in the kitchen. I think either would work if you use her original recipe.
I didn’t really changed anything to this since it was soooo good except using garlic salt in place of sea salt, but that is subject to preference. Either way, there is nothing like a delicious stack of onion rings you don’t have to feel guilty about eating! I’ve posted her full sized recipe even though I did about half that for myself. Also, check out her faux bloomin’ onion sauce. Mmmmmm….
Oven Baked Onion Rings: 4 servings
Ingredients:
2 sweet yellow onions
1 ½ cup Italian panko bread crumbs
½ cup Flour
1 egg
3 tbsp Milk
Sea Salt (or Garlic salt) and pepper
Cooking spray

 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees (or 233 Celsius apparently)
Slice onions into think rings and separate them.
In a bowl, add flour, salt, and pepper and mix together. In another bowl mix egg and milk. In a third bowl, add bread crumbs.
Dredge each onion ring first in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs, fully coating in them.
Place each ring on a baking sheet, spray each ring with cooking spray. Place onion rings in the oven.
Bake for 10 minutes then flip each ring and bake for an additional 10 minutes until crispy and brown.
Remove from oven and serve immediately. Nothing worse than cold onion rings!
Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner
London photos coming this week!

5 comments:

  1. The onion rings sound great! My fiance loves regular onion rings, but I never want to deep fry them for him! I should try your method :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! I was so surprised how good they were! I don't like to deep fry either and they are really easy, just dip and bake. The best part is the middles of the onions that get soft and juicy. LEt me know if you try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those onion rings look delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try those sometime.
    I love your cow mug by the way. haha so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Do try them, they are a crowd pleaser. And as for the mug, I can't take credit for it, it was there for me when I came to my study abroad house, but I am totally embracing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Oven Baked Onion Rings" Innovative idea, sounds good. I will try this with my new breville je98xl, Hopefully I will succeed. Thanks for sharing you innovative ideas.

    George J. McGuire

    ReplyDelete