Saturday, January 21, 2012

Travel: Saturday Trip to Horsham


So finally, I thought I would share all the pictures Mary Kate and I took in Horsham last Saturday, since I’ve been promising them for a while. Originally when we were going, we thought we were going to Surrey until we got there and realized in fact we were not in Surrey, but West Sussex. It didn’t really matter to us since this county capital town was cute enough for a proper day trip in the country. It is a hour and 20 minutes South of London on the way to Brighton or “London by the Sea.” But this Saturday we were going to Horsham, and we liked it.

When we first got off the train we weren’t exactly sure where to go but started to walk until we found the center of town. To our surprise we found lovely little streets full of cute little shops and lots of people. This was a hoping place. After some light window shopping and a charity shop find of a tan sweater dress, we spent twenty minutes trying to find the Horsham Museum.



No one seemed to direct us but finally we stumbled across this little gem of a county museum complete with Victorian taxidermy, dress exhibits, an art gallery, and all the makings of a proper tourist attraction.



I feel that I know more about Horsham than I ever would have before. And yes, that is a Pokemon reference.




The only reason we picked this place was because Mary Kate is from Horsham, Pennsylvania so we only thought it proper to visit its sister city abroad. I’m so glad we did.



Their county park on the estates of what I assume to be a proper mansion of a former Earl or Duke, was so lovely complete with gardens, outdoor bowling, soccer fields, and a little café made from the old conservatory. So Secret Garden. 


For some reason a Facebook friend thought this was the site of a Jack the Ripper killing? I hope not, it’s too pretty.





That's my head.



Growing up, we had a bunch of bamboo in our backyard. This reminded me of it and the forts my sister and I made.


Awwww...cute Mary Kate!








We said this would be a perfect spot for senior pictures or a wedding, guess we are coming back to Horsham! Is that okay Lisa? I think Aaron might prefer the PA Capital still, but I think you would like it here!

We had a light lunch at a small café in town that was fine. It was overall good but it took about 25 minutes for our sandwich and side salad to arrive. Followed by a later cup of tea from the conservatory, this was a productive touristy day.

I think this is more of a summer holiday spot but hey, we can in January. And with this lovely weather of 50-60+ why not? They keep telling me this is odd. Let’s keep it up England, I like it here! (Especially since it is snowing at home right now.)


This is all I can think to write about Horsham. They had some lovely buildings and churches, and it was simply a splendid town to visit if you ever have the chance. Just heads up…it’s not in Surrey.
P.S. look for my amazing chicken and broccoli fried rice coming up. Yum, if I do say myself.
Love,
The College Cuisiner

1 comment:

  1. Marisa,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures - I wish I could be there. Yes, Horsham would be fine with me! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete