Friday, January 13, 2012

London: Allans Patisserie in Mayfair

This afternoon (Friday) Mary-Kate and I decided to venture out on our day off from classes into the city a bit. After a trip to “Poundland” (Yes, instead of the Dollar Store,) we decided to find the US Embassy in case we need to seek asylum if God forbid there is ever a terrorist attack or natural disaster. The fun stuff of course. But Mayfair, the neighborhood is lovely!

So after we got turned away from the Embassy, we took a walk around the surrounding area. Apparently if you aren’t seeking political asylum, you need an appointment to go inside the embassy. Good to know!

Right down the street we found probably the only Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in England since Mary-Kate went to the only Ukrainian Catholic All Girls’ School in America. It was beautiful and of course had the most martyrish title ever “Of the Holy Family in Exile.”


 I told Mary-Kate we could go to mass sometime, especially since we found the cutest little patisserie and tea/coffee shop called Allans Patisserie. Since it was 3pm it was a perfect spot for teatime.



I love the atmosphere it felt like the perfect quintessential tea shop.

I should have gotten tea since it was teatime and since I have a nasty cold but instead I got my latte since coming here.

Mary-Kate got a Cappuccino and a piece of chocolate cheesecake.

I got the best piece of butter-bread pudding drizzled in vanilla syrup or honey (not sure.) It was warm and comforting, perfect.

After our tea time the waiter brought us two complimentary cups of delicious orange tea. It was a loose-leaf tea with fresh orange pulp. Soooo good!

Then he brought us a piece of homemade banana cake to share. Yummmm!


We got these delicious complimentary snacks after I whipped out my camera and took pictures of the food, menu, and restaurant.

I read briefly before I came that the London-food blogger culture is “understood” and it isn’t uncommon to see someone photographing their food. And because of that I’m pretty sure that was my first blogger-perk! Fine by me!




We will definitely come back again especially if we come to mass. It is so great to have an unlimited student “oyster card” for the underground tube system.




It is so easy to get around the city without feeling guilty about it.






The only downside about my situation is my program gives us incredibly limited internet at our house, so in order to blog, Skype, and upload pictures I have to come the whole way to campus to get unlimited wi-fi. Good thing I have a tube pass!

This weekend, we are taking a day trip to Surrey (the suburbs/country) and I will tell you all about it with my other tourist pictures.
See you soon! Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

Happy Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment