Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIAW #17: Barcelona Eats

This weekend I went to Barcelona in Cataluña, Spain with my housemates Kyle, Jake, and Audra. So lovely! You might be sick of hearing this but I think this is my new favourite city! My Aunt Janet was right this city is unlike any other. She lived there for ten years but in three days we saw quite a bit, and of course took a ridiculous amount of photos.


We ate soooooo many good Spanish meals for decent prices (average 10-15 euros.)

Doesn’t this beach look fake? So beautiful. Love the boat in the background!

Because it is Wednesday, I thought I would share what we at here in Barcelona. So many great meals! I definitely lacked my normal amount of vegetables this weekend but I made up for it today. Broccoli, Kale, and mixed greens. But I know you’d rather here about Spain.

Friday night the people from our hotel sent us to Morrysons’ Tapas Bar. Now the name doesn’t sound like it but this was the most authentic Spanish tapas restaurant around. It was really amazing. The menus were in Spanish and Catalan, and that was it. And when are waiter didn’t speak English, we relied on our broken Spanish to get through. I was the only one who did not study Spanish in high school yet I probably spoke as much Spanish as them!

You are supposed to share tapas but these people wanted their own so that’s what we did.

I ordered some of the most authentic tapas dishes:

Patatas Bravas: Crispy potatoes covered in garlic aioli and spicy tomato brava sauce

Garbanzo y Gamba: Oven baked Chickpeas, pimento peppers, and fresh shrimp

Mussels covered in Garlic Aioli
Vino Blanco

Saturday:
Lunch
Walking around after visiting La Ramba market, we found a tiny little café called Ipsa. It was perfect for us sine their “Menu del Dia” was only 7 euros!
Vino blanco
Leek garpazco and fresh bread

Civeci of salted salmon and cod with corn, red peppers, tomatoes, in a deliciously light dressing. Oh oh.

Espresso au lait and light homemade cheesecake with raspberry and lemon drizzle

Dinner
Vino Blanco
Pan de Catalan: baguette rubbed with garlic and tomato
Ensalada (with lots of veggies! and toasted pine nuts)
Grilled mushrooms tapas with more bread
Special dessert of Catalan orange cake with cream topping
Café au lait

At this point in the evening my camera had died so I had Jake take the food photos. Alas I still haven’t gotten them so I will update!

Sunday:

Lunch

Thin grilled chicken, grilled pimento pepper, potatoes


Traditional Spanish Sangria. Nothing like ours..

Catalan Flan


Kyle helping me finish the sangria.


Audra attempting to eat her Catalan Cream

Dinner In: (Guess who cooked?)

Homemade Spanish stew over rice
Rioja wine


More Pictures from Barcelona:


























Sagrada Familia Cathedral: Began building in 1882 by Gaudi (who built everything in this city) has been in construction ever since and probably will not be “finished” for another 80 years.



Fountain in La Ramba Square







FC Barcelona Stadium.




I loved Barcelona and I cannot wait to take Aaron back with me. I was hesitant at first about going to Spain (I studied French) but as soon as I got there I loved it. Madrid is landlocked so it’s not as cool and they don’t have the ultra confusing two languages posted side by side (Spanish and Catalan.) If you ever have a chance to come here, DO IT!
Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

4 comments:

  1. I can't comment on just one thing....it all looks amazing! Totally jealous of your awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even going until about three weeks ago. So happy I did! Make it there if you can!

      Delete
  2. So jealous! I want some mussels now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the beach pictures...okay, I want to go to Spain also!

    ReplyDelete