Monday, April 16, 2012

Post London: Curry Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes

I am officially back on the other side of the pond but I still find myself wanting to make British inspired recipes. Before I left I cleaned out my fridge and made a pretty good dinner. I wanted to make something delicious with my leftovers.



What I came up with was a mix of sautéed sweet potatoes, apples and quinoa to make something healthy and deliciously unique.This was a great dish the only thing that it missed was dried cranberries to add a little tartness to the sweet savory mix that is delicious with fish and naan bread. I suppose this is a mix of Indian and kind of Mediterranean flavor. I used the leftover garlic leaves but I recommend using fresh parsley for my readers in the States.

I love the availability of curry and fresh ingredients in England and it will be hard for me to get used to my less fresh food supply here in Philly. But I hope you will be able to make it your own and a delicious way to add some healthy super-foods like sweet potatoes and quinoa to your dinner!


Curry Quinoa and Sweet Potatoes: 2-3 servings



Ingredients:

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
½ of tart apple, chopped and sliced thinly
1 banana shallot, chopped (or small red onion)
¼ cup of dried cranberries
1/8 cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
½ cup of quinoa
1 cup dry white wine
1 tsp. curry powder
Garlic salt
Pepper
1 tbsp. butter













































Directions:


Cook quinoa according to these instructions and chill once cooked.


Boil sweet potatoes in salted water until mostly soft.


Drain the water and put the sweet potatoes aside.

In a large pan, melt butter and sautéed the garlic and shallot.


Once shallots begin to soften, add sweet potatoes and apples. Brown slightly and add wine.


Allow vegetables to absorb wine and add a dash of garlic salt.


Once absorbed and soft, allow the vegetable to slightly brown.


Take off heat and mix with quinoa and curry powder. Add fresh parsley and cranberries.


Allow to heat together in pan and slightly toast.


Transfer to plates and serve immediately!



Enjoy!


Love,


The College Cuisiner


p.s. Don’t forget to enter my British Natural foods giveaway! You have until Friday, April 27th to enter!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday: Curries. Cheers

    ReplyDelete