Wednesday, April 18, 2012

WIAW #22: Stateside Coronation Chicken


Today is my first Wednesday back in the States, and I am still getting used to it. Of course, I have been cooking basically since I got off the plane, and here’s what I have been eating:





Breakfast:



Tea brought back with skim milk and dash of sugar

Ruby red grapefruit with sugar (missed these, the one thing I couldn’t find easily in London.)

sandwich with slice of natural cheddar on a Kaiser roll



Lunch:



Doctored mac and cheese and leftover Coronation Chicken (Here’s Monday night’s dinner of the chicken)

Water


Afternoon:

Iced Coffee with a friend. (One food thing I really missed: COFFEE!)


Dinner:


 

Homemade Mezze plate provided partly by my first state-side Whole Foods Trip: Garlic hummus and feta, taboule salad, home Mediterenrean Salad mixed with quinoa, fresh arugula, leftover sliced grilled chicken, two pitas


Homemade Iced tea



As previously promised, I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes from my time in London even though I am now back. Leave it to me to be off the plan late Saturday night and already be whipping up something Sunday and Monday.
But Coronation Chicken was too good to wait for. I first had this as a finger sandwich during afternoon tea, then when my Aunt Janet whipped in up for Easter Saturday, I was already hooked. As a history major/full time foodie I love when a particular dish I make also has a distinct history. Coronation chicken is not just a British style chicken salad for finger sandwiches or on top of salads. In fact, this dish was meant for royalty.


When Queen Elizabeth II was crowned in 1952, a dish was needed that could be made ahead of time for the banquet but something the people of the Commonwealth could also eat as they watched the live broadcast on their new television sets.

Coronation Chicken was born. With that has spawn a million versions from simple to complicated. But for the college student and easy-meal orientated American palate, this version is sure to please your palate and your wallet while remaining pretty simple to assemble. Some of the recipes include apricots but others, like mine have golden raisins. You can also use chutney while I used a mixed jam for convenience. Check out these links on different versions and a bit on the history of coronation chicken.


I love the curry that makes the chicken savory and the perfect spring picnic meal. I hope you give this a try before the Diamond Jubilee!




Coronation Chicken



Coronation Chicken Salad: 4 servings





Ingredients:


2 grilled chicken breasts, shredded
¼-1/3 cup of low fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp. curry powder
½ tsp garlic salt
½ cup of golden raisins
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce

2 tbsp. of mango chutney


Possible variations:
Optional: dash of cumin
Substitute apricots for raisins
Add toasted almonds

Use a fruity jam or quince paste in the absence of chutney
Add half crème fraice. Half mayonnaise
Use roasted or leftover chicken















Directions:


In a medium bowl mix curry powder, garlic salt, and mayonnaise well.
Add shredded chicken and raisins with the dressing, coating evenly.

Add Worcestershire to taste and more mayonnaise if necessary. Cover and chill for about two hours so the salad is well mixed.

Serve in toasted roll, naan, or on an arugula salad.


Enjoy the deliciousness, whether it be your own tea time or just a deliciously different bagged lunch.


Love,

The College Cuisiner

p.s. Don’t forget to enter my British Natural foods giveaway! You have until Friday, April 27th to enter!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! :) Your dinner plate seriously has me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chicken salad sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe...can't wait to try it at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you do, it's so easy and it's a nice change from the ordinary chicken salad.

      Delete
  3. I need to put Mediterranean salad on my "to try" list. Looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you do, it's one of my favorite spring/summer meals!

      Delete