Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIAW turns 21! Easter Weekend

This last week has been particularly hectic for me as my time here in London comes to an end. Last Wednesday after my final exam I had to rush to meet my mum, Mackenzie, and Jon who just arrived in London that morning. We have seen so much during their short trip and I was happy they got to see London as I have been lucky enough to these past few months.

Since then I have only checked my email twice and could obviously not blog thanks to no hotel internet and a ridiculously busy schedule. So do to that this will be a short-ish post.

On the upside we have seen quite a bit and eaten even more. Over the Easter holiday we visited with my Aunt Janet and Uncle Maurice in the village of Fairlight in Sussex County on the Southern coast of England. We stayed in an adorable little B&B right down the hill from their house and were served full English Breakfasts every day! (Mine without the bacon or sausage of course) From Saturday to Tuesday we were stuffed to the gills with delicious homemade meals, afternoon teas, and treats from my Aunt. This would have been the highlight of the trip if the company wasn’t so fabulous! (Which is was.)




To top it off, lots of fruits and veggies for the April WIAW challenge too!

Here are some of the amazing meals we were given over the Easter weekend:

Saturday
Late Lunch


Coronation Chicken tea Sandwiches and Prawn Mayonnaise sandwiches



Smoked salmon and mushroom pates, bread, crackers



fresh strawberries, tomato salad, crisps, Spanish frittata

Dinner



Poached Salmon in Watercress cream sauce

Potato cakes

Salad with pomegranate seeds and vinaigrette

Cava

Sunday

Lunch

Fish and Chips in Rye

Dinner


Herb marinated chicken, crispy oven potatoes, roasted vegetables

Red cabbage and Cucumber salad
Monday



Mocha at the De Le Warr Art gallery and community centre

Lunch

Penne Alla at Simply Italian in Rye

Tea Time


More fabulous food and tea of course.

Dinner
Various elements of the weekends’ meals with the addition of fresh salads and a pecan apple tart.

We had such a lovely trip despite the awful rainy, windy, cold weather that my family has seemed to have brought with them to break up the two week heat wave in England. Thanks a lot! But the best bits are all do to my Aunt and Uncle who worked so hard to show us around and make us feel at home. Luckily the next time we will see them will be next summer for my wedding rather than the ten year gap that preceded this visit (and my time here this semester.)

A quick preview of some other highlights from my family’s visit:



Coach trip to Hampton Court, (Stonehenge again, ugh) and amazing Bath (for a split second!)

The Warner Brothers Harry Potter Tour! Ahhh magical!!!





Windmills



Family


The busy schedule continues! I hope that Friday I can recap more of our visit, my recipe for curry quinoa and sweet potatoes, and announce my London giveaway! Come back Friday to see what I am giving away to one lucky reader! It’s pretty good if I do say myself!

Enjoy!


Love,

The College Cuisiner

3 comments:

  1. Oh Boy...I wish I could be there!!!! Congrats to Jon and MacKenzie!!!!! I can't wait to see you Marisa! Have a safe trip home! Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, exactly, is coronation chicken? Also, when do you go home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, go get some Coronation chicken ASAP. So good! It's curry chicken salad and I want to bath in it! I go home Saturday. Any chance you are free tomorrow? I have no plans, would love to get one last drink!

      Delete