Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WIAW #24: Sweet Potato Foil Packet Tacos



For my last week of “freedom” until I have to go back to the internship I love (by the way) I have been in a frenzy between home and Philadelphia and the occasional sketching and tv-show make-up session. It will be nice to go back to a routine again.
So here are my last-week–of summer-before-summer-begins eats.




Breakfast


 
Marks and Spencer black tea with splash of fat free milk
Half of fresh grapefruit with a little sugar (it’s already half eaten here due to my desperation of hunger)

 

Lunch


Picnic in Small Town PA with my mom, Dave, and Aaron:
Turkey sub with lots-of-veggies
Small handful of gibbles chips
Bottle-o-water
Few bits of homemade rice pudding. Sooooooo good!


Snack Between Driving Back to Philadelphia

One Green & Black mini-dark chocolate


Snack Before my Late-Late Dinner



Half of my half a shrimp po-boy from the night before (shared with Aaron of coure) This was the original presentation.

 
Dinner


Sweet Potato Foil Packet Tacos on flour tortilla
Glass of green tea with lemon
Water


 
For my eats today I want to particularly share this great recipe find with you.




Ever since getting on the Pinterest bandwagon, I have pinned recipes more than anything else. This recipe is the first I have actually made and I am so glad I did.


One thing I recommend is dividing up your ingredients into six equal parts before you assemble the packets to ensure equal amounts. The original recipe is very kid friendly hide-the-vegetables kind-o f thing that is perfect for parents attempting that very endeavor. But for my purposes, I added a few extra things, mostly to the taco meat mixture.


This great recipe I got from Natalie’s blog, Perry’s Plate, used black or pinto beans in place of my corn. But in true college fashion, all I had was corn so I used that instead. Aaron actually preferred it since beans are not always his favorite, but I encourage you to experiment with your own preferences. I also added a can of tomatoes and chilies for a more packed mixture that really doesn’t even need the extra salsa or guacamole added at the end.




Six packets might seem a little excessive for the two of us but they went really quick over the period of two days (two dinners, and a lunch) For extra points, guess how many I personally got to have out of six? If you know anything about my fiancé, I bet you can answer that but of course I received the standard answer, “But I thought the leftovers we all for me?” Really, you did?




They are that good is all I’m saying here. If you don’t quite need six packets, this recipe is easily reduced to 3 packets but trust me, that goes very quickly.


This is a great recipe and it seems I’m in good company in the blogging community with lots of repeats. You all know how much I love sweet potatoes so it was a happy occasion when I could sneak them in. This will definitely be a repeat dinner of my own, especially since it was so easy to make.


Sweet Potato Foil Packet Tacos: 6 Packet Servings
(Adapted from Perry’s Plate via Pinterest)




Ingredients:

½ pound ground turkey (or beef if you are inclined)
2-3 sweet potatoes making around 6 cups, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
1 can sweet corn (5 oz.) or the same amount frozen
1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilies (12 oz.)
¼ cup of tomato sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 tbsp Taco Seasoning
2 clove of garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
1 ½ cup sharp cheddar
1 tbsp olive oil
Garlic salt
6 large (12-16 inch long) pieces of aluminum foil



Optional:

• salsa, guacamole, or sour cream for garnish
• tortillas, but honestly you could just eat this baby right out of the foil, especially for our gluten-free friends)




Directions:


Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.


In a large pan brown the meat in the olive oil and add garlic and chopped onion. Once browned, add taco seasoning, sauce, chopped tomatoes and corn and mix evenly. Set Aside.


Start assembling foil packets by spraying each piece with cooking spray or with a vegetable little oil. In the center of the foil, set about 1 cup of sweet potatoes and top with a small pad of butter and a little pinch of garlic salt. Then sprinkle with spinach and around 3/4 -1 cup of taco mixture. Sprinkle with desired amount of cheese.


Start folding the packet first with the sides in, the fold over the top and bottom ends of the foil together in the center and fold to seal the packet.


Repeat this with the remaining ingredients and foil. Placing the packets on a rimmed cookie sheet. (This is just in case the packets leak but I didn’t have any problems)


Bake packets for 25-30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and tender. Be careful for steam when opening the packets (I used a fork to do so.)


Serve immediately right there in the packet, with sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole. (but honestly this is so good you don’t even need it, just maybe a little extra cheese on top!)


We put ours on flour tortillas to make delicious soft tacos, but these are perfect by themselves or would be great on corn tortillas for a gluten-free option!



Enjoy!


Love,


The College Cuisiner

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear lord, those sweet potato foil packet tacos look SO delish! I love anything with sweet potatoes.. and there's nothing better than tacos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love these! It's the best part of a taco without the tortilla!

      Delete