Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WIAW # 28: Romaine Hearts Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

I have a feeling that I won’t be the only person who WIAWs their Memorial Day eats. (Yes, I just made that a verb.) Now, I must state, as a very-soon-to-be military wife it kind of depresses me that this National Holiday of remembrance gets turned into a Barbeque day with no actual remembrance sometimes. Forthose of you who do remember the true meaning of this day, I applaud you. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with enjoying this day/weekend with family and friends, just be mindful of what it means. And of course who makes it possible for you to get a day off work to enjoy.

As my wonderful fiancé tells me, this is a day of reflection. Good job sweetheart. You give me another reason to be proud of our military.
On another note, this was a beautiful if not extremely hot weekend here in the North East. I was able to make some great eats along with several recipes to share. So here is it, my Memorial Day eats. And no we didn’t actually go to barbeque believe it or not.



 
Dinner at Bonefish Grill with Lisa

Ahi tuna with soy dipping sauce


Their crazy good mostly-likely as fattening Rocking Shrimp
A mango martini


Grilled Salmon and asparagus salad with goat cheese and lots of veggies!

Saturday Lunch

Rome apple and peanut butter



Chicken Minnasale sandwich from Montesano’s Brothers
Chicken cutlet, roasted peppers, broccoli rabe, sharp provolone




Homemade iced coffee with coffee iced cubes via Bakeaholic Mama (Recipe to come soon)

Saturday Dinner at Ludwig’s
Pomegranate martini
Handful of calamari
Romaine Hearts Salad (Restaurant inspiration)
Split crock of French onion soup with Lisa
A third of Jewish apple cake and ice cream
Yum yum yum…

Sunday

Eggs and home fries (so-so)


POM Beach Smoothie (Recipe to come)



Homemade Romaine Hearts salad with homemade blue cheese dressing, prosciutto, blue cheese, red onion, and kalamata olives
Homemade truffled three cheese and scallion paninis
Prosecco

Monday






Homemade Fried potatoes with fired egg
fried tomatoes
Fresh watermelon
glass of orange juice

Dinner



Homemade pita pizza (three cheese, tomato, proscuitto, kalamata olives, balsamic reduction)
Watermelon margarita
                       



The best thing I ate this weekend was the Romaine Hearts salad I had first at Ludwig’s in Chester Springs, PA and the next day at home when I recreated it. After having this great summer salad I had to make it again. I had to make a special trip to Wegman’s since I knew that the closest grocery store to my mother wouldn’t have anything I needed. It was totally worth the trip as we devoured these babies along with our paninis. It is the perfect summer salad to make at home or for a summer party. The romaine hearts act as a hands on salad, no utensils needed. The perfect summer treat.



Romaine Hearts Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing:
4-5 servings (3-4 pieces each)



Ingredients:

For the dressing

1/2 small red onion
3/4 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup light cream
1/2 cup crumbled buttermilk blue cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp salt
Pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of chili powder


For the Salad

1 heart of romaine lettuce, separated (about 15 cups)
½ red onion
15-20 pitted kalamata olives
3 slices of prosciutto, sliced into thin strips
¼ cup crumbled buttermilk blue cheese
pepper
























Directions:

Using a mandolin, slice the red onion into thin slices. Separate 1/2 of the onion and soak in ice water for 1-2 hours in the fridge. Take the rest of the onion and chop finely for the dressing. In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients together until mixed well. Refrigerate while you prepare the salad or several hours ahead of time. (there will be leftovers)

On a large plate, arrange the lettuce cup side up. Sprinkle evenly with crumbled blue, sliced onions, and pitted kalamata olives. Drizzle blue cheese dressing all over the lettuce cups well but not too much. (you might have to do this in two batches) Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and serve.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

2 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about an amazing weekend on the food front! I'm totally jealous of all your delicious looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was definitely food spoiled this weekend! I love visiting my future mother in law she is so good to me; I always leave well fed!

    ReplyDelete