Wednesday, May 9, 2012

WIAW # 25: Baked Salmon Cakes

Now that I am officially back in Small Town for the majority of the summer for my internship, my eats will probably be changing a bit.


 Yes, I ate quinoa this morning for breakfast, but sadly I don’t know how easy that will be know that the good grocery stores don’t live out here. Tear. If you’ve been here before you know that I like organic very much but since I am a college student, I just can’t afford to be in a committed relationship with organic/all-natural/endorsed by the Dali Llama foods at the moment. I keep hoping that will change. But as that I am currently not living in Philadelphia, or of course better yet my lovely London, I will be ingesting preservatives *gasp, mostly involuntarily for awhile. And I will probably look normal weight now instead of the London-get-some-meat-on-your-bones look I have been sporting for the last few months.


 But now for my eats from this weekend. I had so many good ones I didn’t want you to miss out on them! Despite the massive canker sore I have on the inside of my lip that keeps me from chewing properly (sorry, over share) I've had a pretty good week.


 
 

This Weekend at Lisa’s





Mojito Cupcake from Sweet Elizabeth’s Cakes in Manayunk, Philadelphia

Have a Green & Black Dark Chocolate Bar

Decaf coffee

Breakfast


Turkey kielbasa, one egg, pan fried potatoes

Dinner



Pasta with alfredo sauce, grilled chicken breasts, steamed broccoli, piece of garlic bread


Eats of the Day:

Breakfast


Quinoa Breakfast bowl with fresh strawberries and fat-free milk


Black tea, milk


Morning Work

Bottle of water


Lunch

Homemade tuna salad with local tomatoes (yum!) mixed greens on fresh everything bagel

Side of kettle crisps, handful of dried apricots

Green tea


Dinner



Homemade Salmon cakes

 Aaron’s pan fried potatoes

Mixed greens, strawberries, feta, homemade vinaigrette

Water


Dessert

Leftover Jewish Apple Cake and small scope of Bruster’s vanilla ice cream (We froze half of this cake when I made it last weekend, even better now!)



While dessert was deliciousness, (my homemade-from-scratch Jewish apple cake of course!) what I really want to share with you is my dinner.

 I love salmon, and I love these salmon cakes. In fact, we’ve been making these for years now but we always go back to this Martha Stewart recipe because it is just so good. I never realized that the original recipe (at least the one posted in Martha’s archives) forgot to list scallions in the ingredients list even though they are listed in the directions.








So I just winged the amount, and trust me you do not want to substitute these, green onions are too perfect in these cakes. Martha recommends broiling but I bake them until golden brown. I also poach the salmon instead of baking it ahead of making the cakes.

 Salmon Cakes: About 8 cakes
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)




Ingredients:


2 pounds salmon fillets, skin off
8 oz. dry white wine
Coarse garlic salt and ground pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3-1/2 cup chopped green onions or scallions
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

 Martha also recommends adding if desired:


3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (my mom topped her cakes with horseradish)
2 tablespoons minced capers
2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapeno chile
Her lemon-herb sauce on top
















Directions:


 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


In pan over medium heat, poach salmon in white wine, salt, and pepper until just cooked, about 15-20 minute.  Break salmon into smaller pieces and flake with a fork.


In a large bowl, combine scallions, breadcrumbs, and parsley. Add mayonnaise, mustard, eggs, lemon juice, and salmon. Season again with salt and pepper, plus an additional flavoring if desired. Mix gently until ingredients just hold together. (You do't want to over mix)


Form mixture into 8 patties about 3 inches wide. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. 


Bake patties until lightly golden on top without turning, about 6 to 8 minutes.


We served ours with fried potatoes and a saide salad but these patties are great on sandwiches, salads, and more!


Enjoy!


Love,


The College Cuisiner



p.s. Come Back Friday for my favourite Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Recipe!

Would you make salmon cakes or are you only crabby? Haha pun.

2 comments:

  1. Marisa,
    Salmon Cakes are my favorite! I can't wait to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! They're one of my favorites too!

      Delete