Friday, July 6, 2012

Multi-Colored Bruschetta

It's summer, I'm hot aren't you? The weather silly.


So today I thought it wouldn't be best to post the amazing turkey sausage and primavera baked ziti I recently made. Instead I decided to post my multi-colored bruschetta. I can't believe that is has almost been a year writing this blog and I still haven't posted my bruschetta or my homemade hummus. I apologize. But today I'll try to make up for part of it.


I love bruschetta so much that my gbf Mark and I used to make 4 cups of it with his baked crostinis and sit and eat it while watching episodes of Doctor Who. That's normal right? Too bad, I still love it.



So the last time I made it I thought it would be great to make my bruschetta Julie and Julia style by using both red and yellow tomatoes over grilled bread. We even upped it by adding not only the delicious Italian basil growing in my mother's garden but also her purple basil, or red rubin. So this baby is super colorful and perfect for summer. We ate this for dinner with a simple grilled chicken side but you can do whatever you want with it. For my gluten-free friends, as always skip the bread and use a more friendly base instead. But still grill it! It makes all the difference I promise!


This was all I could think about after buying a deliciously yellow pint of tomatoes at the farmer's market earlier that day. Since it was going to be the two of us for dinner we thought it would be the perfect time to make bruschetta.



I love garlic so if you don't that's okay, add less. I also prefer balsamic reduction or a higher quality balsamic vinegar versus the plain more vinegary watery base. It just adds more flavor. So if that's all you have take the time to cook it down to a reduction and trust me you'll be happy you did!

I also love mixing bruschetta with pasta or on top of grilled chicken. Make it your own! If you have an infused olive oil such as basil, chile, or garlic, go for it! It will make a huge difference in the flavor!


Multi-Colored Bruschetta: 
about 3 or more cups


Ingredients:


3-4 medium-small yellow tomatoes
3-4 medium-small red tomatoes (campiniri or plum for the best flavor)
10-15 leaves of green Italian basil
10-15 leaves of red rubin (purple basil)
2-3 cloves of crushed garlic (depending on how garlicky you like it!)
3 tbsp. of garlic infused olive oil
3 tbsp. balsamic reduction (I used a fabulous red currant version courtesy of my wonderful sister.)
Sea Salt to taste
Fresh black pepper to taste

Optional:

1/2 tsp. of fresh lemon zest

Directions:

Cut tomatoes in half, taking off the top and bottom and scooping out the majority of seeds so the bruschetta won't become too soupy. Chop both varieties of tomatoes into chunks, put in large bowl.

Chop basil leaves finely  or cut into thin strips. Add basil and desired amount of garlic to bowl and mix together.

Add olive oil and balsamic and mix well. Add pepper and salt to taste. Add lemon zest if desired. Serve immediately or allow to sit in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes so the flavors mix well.

Serve with grilled bread (like us!) or on any like meat like tilapia, grilled chicken or eat
with zucchini cups!


Tip:
If you happen to have leftover bruschetta, (doubtful) give it a new taste by adding kalamata olives, fresh feta cheese, and even cucumbers for a Mediterranean salad with hummus and pita chips!


Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

Wednesday is my 1 year blog birthday! Don’t forget to enter my giveaway from Tribe Hummus and Veggie Patch foods!!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I love bruschetta, so I always like new ways to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it! It was so good if I do say myself!

      Delete