Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Lunch: Peach Clafoutis

C'est Dimanche alors...let's bake!

Okay this one is French, so why is it under Sunday lunch? Because it is delicious. Simple. And great for summer when you need to use up the ripe peaches you may have lying around. And hey, I am the Cuisiner after all.


Originally from the French region of Limousin, clafoutis are normally made with fresh cherries with the pits intact. According to the French, the pits still within the cherries make the flavor more rich than without. At least that’s what Jamie Oliver told me. I’ll take their word for it as my mother probably wouldn’t like crunching on a cherry pit very much.


I hope to make the traditional cherry version soon as they are in also season but since we had these lovely ripe peaches sitting in the kitchen I couldn’t resist. Think custard meets pie meets delectable. I love the consistency of this pudding along with the very light simple sweetness it brings to pair with a cuppa, as Breakfast, or alongside a Sunday lunch with company. It makes quite the presentation and it couldn’t be simpler!


Clafoutis or anglicized Clafouti (kla-foo-tee) is served lukewarm out of the oven once rested. So it is still the perfect light summer dessert that will not feel heavy in the July heat. I brought my beauty to a summer party alongside homemade amaretto whipped cream because honestly, life is too short to eat “whip cream” from a can! Since I added a tablespoon of cognac to the batter I originally used cognac in the whipped cream but it tasted too spiced so instead I used amaretto for the final appearance. I also liked that the dessert isn’t too sweet so the sweeter whipped cream paired nicely.

Clafoutis is much loved, and of course a Julia Child specialty. There are many versions floating around the internet, here are the two on which I based my recipe:

Sugar & Spice by Celeste

French Cuisine- Suite 101

Try this recipe with all types of summer fruit such as cherries, raspberries, and figs for the Fall. I hope you enjoy my version and please PLEASE try this! You’ll love it for Sunday Lunch or just a summer treat!

Peach Clafoutis: makes 6-8 slices
(Adapted from two sources above)



Ingredients:

3 eggs
 1 cup milk minus a tablespoon (add 1 tbsp. cognac or peach liqueur)
 2 tsp. vanilla
 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
 ½ cup sugar
 ¼ tsp ground nutmeg or cardamon
 Pinch of salt
 3 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup sugar
 unsalted butter to grease baking dish

Directions:


 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Crack eggs into a medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer until foamy.

Add milk, cognac, vanilla, sifted flour, ½ cup of sugar, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Beat again until smooth.

 Pour batter into buttered 9-inch ovenproof dish or pie plate. Scatter peaches over batter and sprinkle ¼ cup of sugar over the peaches and batter. (Peaches will rise to the top.)

Place in oven and bake 40-45 minutes. Batter should rise, turn golden, and be firm when done.
Remove peach clafoutis from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving. Serve with a dollop of homemade whipped cream.



Enjoy your Sunday! Wish we could have lunch!

Love,

The College Cuisiner


TOMORROW (Monday, July 9th, 2012) is the VERY last day to enter my giveaway in honor of my Blog birthday from Tribe Hummus and Veggie Patch Products. Don’t delay!



2 comments: