Monday, July 2, 2012

July 4th: Mason Jar Lemonades

This weekend was my sister’s engagement party at their house in Fishtown. After a car-breaking-down debacle with her fiancé’s parents, Aaron and I finally made it to the party TWO HOURS LATER! Despite the heat it was a lovely party with fabulous food of course, it is my sister. With all of the knock out food my favorite thing was the homemade lemonade that my sister made and chilled individually in mason jars.


It’s the perfect way to have a great party drink accessible to everyone. Just keep in a large cooler full of ice and let guests serve themselves.


This recipe is great for kids and everyone else alike. If you are looking for an adult version (hard lemonade) add a shot of vodka and mark the lid so no one gets a surprise! I must admit this is her recipe 100% so I will give her the credit and I hope you all give this a try for your own Fourth of July festivities!


Mason Jar Lemonades



Ingredients:

2 cup sugar (or half amount of agave)
4 cups of lemon juice, pulp included (10 lemons)
3 lemons for garnish, sliced
Zest each of the lemons
Filtered water
2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
10 + mason jars, small and medium



Directions:

Juice lemons and keep pulp until you have 4 cups of juice. 

Zest each lemon and add half sugar to half volume of lemon juice (2 cup sugar to 4 cup juice) to make syrup.

Pour 1/3 cup of the syrup in each mason jar with 2/3 cup water. Stir.

Add one slice for small jars or two slices of lemon for medium jars and two mint leaves to each jar. Secure the lids and shake vigorously.

Place in coolers of ice and allow guests to serve themselves. Straws optional!



Enjoy! Happy July 4th!

Love

The College Cuisiner


Don’t forget to enter my giveaway from Tribe hummus and Veggie Patch foods for my blog birthday!!

4 comments:

  1. Just found a bunch of cute vintage mason jars in our new house’s basement - thinking they would make cute glasses for a batch of this lemonade! Planning to feed everyone for July 4th so this could be perfect. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I want to try that and add strawberries for a strawberry lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Let me know how it turns out if you make it!

      Delete