Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Part 2: Jewish Apple Cake

One of my favorite desserts of all time is Jewish Apple Cake. I made it for the first time for Thanksgiving dinner and my aunt asked me, "what makes it 'Jewish' versus regular Apple cake."

Honestly, I have no idea but it is so good I don't really care!


We thought this would be a nice twist on the traditional apple pie to mix up our dessert selection this year.

The most work in this recipe is peeling and cutting the apples, but despite that it is a pretty simple cake to bring to all your holiday parties this season.

And all always, it isn't expensive.

This cake is dense, moist, and perfect with a cup of tea. When we get this at our favorite Jewish deli, I usually warm it up in the oven and serve it with non-fat frozen vanilla yogurt. But you don’t even to go to that much trouble to enjoy a slice.

Yesterday we ate the leftovers for a Sunday breakfast and it was delicious!
Trust me on this if you bring this to a party everyone will love it. It is beautiful and definitely a crowd pleaser. Since the cake is so dense it is hard to cook the center so I used an angel food cake pan because I didn’t have a Bundt pan. Either would work.
Don’t be shy try this delicious cake pronto!
Jewish Apple Cake: About 10 + Servings
Ingredients:
6 tart baking apples (I used Jonagold but another favorite is Macintosh.)
1 tbsp. cinnamon
5 tbsp. sugar
2 ¾ sifted flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
¼ cup orange juice
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
4 eggs





Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a tube pan with butter or cooking spray.
Peel, core, and chop apples into chunks. Mix with sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt together.
In a separate bowl mix oil, orange juice, sugar, and vanilla. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
Add eggs one at a time into the mixture. Scrape the bowl until the mixture is well blended.
Pour half of the batter into the pan. Spread half of the apple on top of the mixture. Pour the rest of the batter over the apples and then top with the remaining apples.
Bake for 1 ½ hours or until toothpick comes out clean. (Note that the top might appear a little undone even with a clean toothpick, you don’t want to overcook.)
Allow the cake to cool and then gently flip over with a plate and then flip again onto serving plate with apples side up.
Serve and enjoy at a holiday party or just at home with your loved ones!
Love,
The College Cuisiner
Stop by Wednesday when I reveal my first ever reader giveway!

3 comments:

  1. Marisa,
    This cake was awesome on Thanksgiving~I can't wait to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! I have made a version of this..it also has been called Jewish coffee cake but it has nuts, and cocoa mix in center..Yours seems to be less calories and I like that! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Jewish Apple Cake. I made one last year it was a big hit. Guess I need to make one again soon!

    ReplyDelete