Saturday, November 19, 2011

Philly: Sweet Elizabeth's Cakes

For the past three weeks or so I have dying to go try Sweet Elizabeth’s Cakes in Manayunk (Philadelphia.) Every time I planned to go there was some obstacle such as my friend couldn’t go with me, I had a meeting I forgot about, or most depressingly: they are closed on Tuesdays, my only day off.

So finally after three weeks of waiting and dreaming, my friend Sara and I finally made it. It felt like it was meant to be.


We found a street parking spot a block away (if you have ever been to Manayunk, you know street parking is nearly impossible to find at all hours of the day.) So finally we walked in and discovered an adorable little shop.

I love their front windows filled with different kinds of cakes that buyers can commission.


Their wedding cake display was absolutely gorgeous. And once I tried their cupcakes, I wouldn’t hesitate choosing them for our wedding cake when the day comes down the road.


The shop itself is very inviting with five table set up for customers who’d like their cupcakes “for here” instead of boxed up until they get home. And trust me, those babies might not make it all the way home once you’ve tried one.

They change their flavors regularly but always have Red Velvet with Mascarpone Cream Cheese Icing and Carrot Cake with Gingered Pineapple Mascarpone Cream Cheese Icing. Personally, I really don’t like red velvet cake, but after looking at these babies I was curious. After a conversation with the baker herself she explained that she never liked it either but after finding a Depression-era recipe that uses red beets and no artificial coloring she was hooked.


She said these cupcakes weren’t overly sweet because of the beets and little sugar but you couldn’t even taste the beets and the red velvet remains their best seller. (Probably because there just so beautiful!) If you look around the foodie blogging world lately you might have noticed a few recipes for beets in chocolate cakes, so this isn’t really a stretch.


Sweet Elizabeth’s only uses all natural ingredients for their cakes and pies, etc. so there are just simply delicious. This week they also had a Wicked Chocolate cupcake with Nutella buttercream icing topped with hazelnuts, Pumpkin Spice cupcake with Cinnamon Buttercream, Pecan Praline, Caramel Drizzle, and probably the best cupcake I have ever had:


The 3 Friends: Chocolate Chip Vanilla Bean Pound Cake with Raspberry Buttercream with chocolate shavings and drizzles.
Wow!
Sara got this little beauty and it was sooo good!


I got the wicked chocolate cupcake. It was too tempting and delicious.
We were planning to stay a while and chat so I order a yummy Mexican hot chocolate and Sara got an herbal tea.


My hot chocolate was ready to go but since Sara’s took awhile and they were so generous to bring us another beautiful 3 Friends cupcake on the house. If the cupcakes didn’t convince this did, I will definitely be back.


After some good conversation and some great cupcakes we left this beautiful little shop but we will definitely be back for more!



Don’t worry! I brought back a couple for Aaron and his mom to share the magic.

 




















Review: I love the feeling of this place, very inviting and everyone is so nice. I could definitely come three times a week if my budget allowed it. These aren’t “cheap” cupcakes by price or ingredients but they are well-worth the indulgence and the occasional trip. You can taste the quality and not even a hint of artificiality. They make cupcakes, cakes, cookies, pies, and more to order, even fresh cheesecake! Check out their website for a full list of drool worthy flavors.
If you are ever in Manayunk make sure you try Sweet Elizabeth’s Cakes you won’t be sorry!


Cupcake Playlist:
Short Skirt, Long Jacket- Cake (Who else?)
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies- Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Bittersweet Symphony- The Verve
So Sweet- Johnathan Rice
Sunday Best- Augustana

Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

8 comments:

  1. Lots of pretty cupcakes! Those cake photos on the wall are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I thought they were adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for coming in, Marisa! We really appreciate the lovely review and so happy you tasted the 'love' we put into each cupcake! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My pleasure! I will defintely be back soon for more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog! And those cupcakes look AMAZING! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! They were and that means trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to visit when I visit Philly in a few weeks!! Your blog is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much! Definitely stop by it is great!

    ReplyDelete