Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I Ate Wednesday #1: Poached Salmon with Sauteed Apples and Onions

Lately I’ve been noticing a phenomenon in some of the blogs I’ve visited. Links for “What I Ate Wednesdays” seem to be everywhere and being the curious person I am I clicked on the link and found a great site Peas and Crayons.  Apparently this blogger party has been going on for some time now, I’m just glad I can join the in on the fun!

Since I am relatively new to the blogging world, I often get lost and miss all the cool things happening out there. This time I wanted to come along for the ride. Hopefully you’ll enjoy my addition to this great idea!


http://www.peasandcrayons.com/

What I Ate Wednesday: 11/16 (Technically what I ate Monday 11/14)
Ever since starting this blog in July, I have tried to "define" what it is. Is it a recipe blog? Is it a foodie blog? The problem is not many of the blogs I've seen has quite my mix of recipes and reviews without consistent "lifestyle" posts. While I wouldn't consider this a "what I ate" blog occasionally it is nice to sit down and think about exactly what I'm putting in my stomach. This seemed like a lot of fun so I thought I’d give it a whirl.
I definitely noticed myself thinking about what I ate in proportion to other things. I have always eaten healthy but I have been trying lately to eat consciously instead of eating whatever I can stuff in my face, so WIAW came at the perfect time!


Breakfast:
Hot spiced apple cider




Lunch:
Sliced Jonagold Apple
9 three cheese bagel bites.
Being that Bagel bites were the cheapest and probably one of the healthiest things in my campus convenient store, I allowed myself to have these. They really aren’t that bad nutritionally.


Dinner:
Poached Salmon topped with sautéed apples and onions in white wine
Parsley oven baked potatoes
½ cup of frozen peas

Dessert:
Non-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
Topped with ½ of a crumbled chocolate chip cookie
And one chopped bite-sized snicker bar
This was definitely an apple heavy day but there is nothing wrong with that!
Now this post would not be complete without sharing one of my recipes from the day:
I can hardly believe that I am actually posting a salmon recipe so soon after the last one but since my mom bought us this beautiful filet I don’t feel bad.
I came up with the apple and onion topping on a whim and it was INCREDIBLE if I do say myself…
It is tangy and flavorful; I definitely recommend it on fish, pork or even chicken. As you know, I don’t eat pork but as a foodie I know apples go well with it and I definitely think the white wine would complement the dish.

Enjoy!
Poached Salmon topped with Sautéed Apples and Onions:

Servings: 2-3

Ingredients:
3/4 -1 lb. Fresh salmon filet
½ cup chicken broth
¾ cup dry white wine
2/3 Jonagold or tart apple, sliced thinly
½ small-medium onion, sliced thinly
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves, minced
 About ¾ cup of roughly chopped parsley
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
Directions:

In a medium-large pan heat 1/2 tbsp. butter, minced garlic, and onions, begin to brown.


Once onions are browning add apple slices and lightly brown.


Add ¼ cup of white wine and evenly coat the apple onion mixture. Cover for about 1 minute or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Add ½ tsp. salt, black pepper to taste, and about half of the chopped parsely while a small amount of the liquid remains.

Once liquid is absorbed and mixture is browned remove from heat and place in a separate bowl.

Using the same pan heat the ½ cup white wine and chicken broth until boiling.

Add salmon filet skin side down. Add ½ of parsley on and around the filet with the bay leaf and additional salt and pepper.

Allow the salmon to simmer over medium-low heat lid on for 10 minutes or until filet is cooked to desire.

Divide the salmon on plates.


Top filets with the apple mixture. Serve with potatoes and peas or with whatever sides you tickle your fancy.

If you had a chance definitely try this recipe it is now one of my favorites. Unfortunately, since salmon is a rare occurrence on my budget who knows when will be the next time I can have it. Hope you get to try it soon!
Welcome to any WIAW bloggers who might have stumbled across my humble abode. Hope you stay awhile!
Happy Wednesday!
Love,
The College Cuisiner
So what did you eat today?


2 comments:

  1. The salmon looks really yummy! It is definitely being added to my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you like it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete