Friday, November 18, 2011

Philly: Turkey Sausage Sandwiches

In my opinion, the sandwich often gets an unfair reputation from the culinary world. Yes, paninis are the “grown-up” grilled cheese but what about deliciously hot and savory sandwiches?
I for one think this treatment is unfair and discriminatory against this beautiful creation. After all, it was invented by an Earl, so it definitely can be fancy too.

Here is where my Turkey Sausage Sandwich comes in. Despite the stereotype, college kids are not limited to tuna salad and especially in Philly, cheese steaks. I wanted my sandwich to change all that and I think it did.
I wanted to create a rich and thick tomato sauce for my sandwich so I used the remaining leftover peeled canned tomatoes from a previous recipe and white wine. Yes, you heard me, white. I love red wine sauce but white wine with tomatoes can be even tangier and great with sausage. I hope I haven’t lost you.
Second, I didn’t just want plain old bread so I used slices of an Italian loaf we had left and made my own version of quick and crispy garlic bread.
Third, the sausage. Yes, I used turkey sausage and it was good! My favorite brand wasn’t in the meat aisle when I went shopping so the pack of Jennie-O Turkey sausage links that I separated, and froze for two meals worked out. I let the sausage cook in the sauce to get the flavor, but not too long to get overcooked and rubbery.
This meal was so good that Aaron asked me to make it again two days later. This time I added sautéed mushrooms and it was even better!
But in the process I burnt my hand on the cookie sheet for the bread. Isn’t this attractive?

Yes, college had forced me to use neon Dollar Tree Band-Aids and gauze from the Resident Assistant’s first-aid kit.
Despite the burning pain left in my dominant hand for a day, dinner was great! Going with the positives.
I hope you try this easy, grown-up sandwich which still comes in at less $4 for 4 sandwiches!!!
Bread: 8 slices (Half a loaf at $3.50)= $1.25 total
3 sausage links: ($4 a package of six)= $2
½ one onion= roughly 50 cents
8 oz. of peeled canned tomatoes ($1.69 a can of 35 oz.)= 42 cents
¼ cup of tomato sauce= 50 cents
Others= 20 cents
Cheese= 50 cents
Equals= $4.24 for the entire meal! That’s a college bargain! Cheese steaks cost up to $10 each.
So now that you know that turkey sausage sandwiches are not only a tasty and pretty nutritious but also a cheap meal for you and your hungry boyfriend.
If you are making this for a family of four, $8.48! Get to it!
Turkey Sausage Sandwiches: 4 sandwiches

Ingredients:
3 Turkey Sausage links, cut in half
8 oz. of Peeled canned tomatoes
¼ jarred tomato sauce
½ onion, sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
black pepper
½ cup dry white wine
1 tbsp. butter
8 slices Italian bread
½ cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
½ cup grated parmesan
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Optional: 8 oz. of mushrooms
Directions:
Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Arrange sliced bread on a cookie sheet and lightly drizzle each piece with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic salt and black pepper.

Top bread slices with equal amount of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Place cookie sheet with bread in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and bread is lightly brown.


Remove from oven and set aside.

While bread is in the oven, heat up a large pan with olive oil, minced garlic, and sliced onions and brown lightly.
(If you are adding mushrooms, do this now and begin to brown.)

Add white wine and bring to simmer.


Add peeled tomatoes in wine and use spatula to crush tomatoes into small pieces.


Add sausage links evenly to the pan making sure all the sides get browned.


Add tomato sauce and basil and allow mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes.


Once sausage is completely cooked through, remove links and set aside.

With the remaining sauce turn heat on medium-high with the lid on for 2-3 minutes.


Once the sauce is reduced and thicken take off heat.


Arrange even amount of sausage links on 4 of the bread slices.

Pour even amount of sauce on the sandwiches and top with extra grated parmesan cheese.
Top with the other bread slices and serve.
Enjoy!

Cuisiner Playlist:
Rebellion- Arcade Fire
Give A Little Love- Noah and The Whale
Sunday Best- Augustana
Smile Like You Mean It- The Killers
Laughing With- Regina Spektor

Love!
The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment