Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Philly: Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce

I have wanted to try this recipe for some time now ever since I saw in on And Her Little Do Too. I "attempted" it back in July but it didn't turn out right because for once, I should have followed the recipe exactly. Meaning, instead of using what I thought were the all superior fresh tomatoes, I should have used the canned ones instead. So this time I did.


If ever there was a simpler recipe, here it is. Plus this couldn't be cheaper. The sauce takes only THREE ingredients and along with the pasta and optional parmesan, you've got a 5 ingredients or less dinner, which usually I don't fare well with. I like my ingredients, but this changed my mind.

1.68 for canned tomatoes
$65 cents for half a box of Rotini
Maybe 25 cents for parmesan
50 cents for an onion
and maybe 70 cents for a half stick of butter

and you've got $3.78 for at least three adult servings, that's a steal of a meal! This will definitely become a staple in my college cookbook!

It doesn't make too much sauce so if you want more, definitely double this recipe.


And now for your faith in me to continue...try this sauce and try not to add anything like I usually do, it's worth the control!

Simple Homemade Tomato Sauce: 2 servings
(Recipe from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients:
28 oz. can of Peeled Plum Tomatoes
One Medium White Onion
5-6 oz. of Salted Butter
Salt to Taste
Directions:

Remove skin of the onion and cut in half.

Add butter and onion to a heavy 3 quart sauce pan.


Pour the entire can of tomatoes into the sauce pan.

Over medium heat bring mixture to a boil. Stir.

Once boiling, turn heat to low and allow the sauce to simmer (not boil) with lid on for 45 minutes.

Make sure you stir frequently with a wooden spoon so the sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pan or spill over. As you stir, crush the tomatoes on the side of the pan.

Sauce is ready once it is noticeably thick and butter “bubbles” appear on top.

Take off heat and scoop out the onion and throw away.

Salt to taste (you won't need to) and serve on your favorite pasta with parmesan (only if you want it, this sauce is very flavorful.)
I managed to throw away most of the onion but little pieces remain, that’s fine, but don’t keep too much of it in the sauce.
Beware of burning depending on the type of pan you use. You don’t want to waste any of this!

I couldn’t believe how good this sauce was especially since it was so simple. I hope you have the same luck as I did for once by following the recipe!
Enjoy!
Love,
The College Cuisiner

2 comments:

  1. Ive been wanting to make my own sauce but for some reason I get so intimidated!!! This looks like something I could make though! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel this recipe looked too good to be true but it was great. It is so incredibly easy and surprisingly good! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete