Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Philly/Small Town:What I Ate Wednesday # 2

Here in College Land, my university kicks us out for the week starting Wednesday (I won't even go into the fact that most schools have been off since last Friday.) This means all "perishable" food items must be cleared from your fridge, so here comes fridge cleaning time! So I did my best to eat everything "perishable" before we left.

http://www.peasandcrayons.com/

Get ready... because it's What I Ate Wednesday before Thanksgiving:



                                                                     Breakfast:

English Black tea with skim-milk and a dash of sugar

Half on one grapefruit sprinkled with sugar




 

Lunch:


1 Jonagold Apple

2 Italian Chocolates my boss brought back from Italy.

3 glasses of water



Dinner:

 Chicken and Asparagus in a Savory Lime sauce over Jasmine Rice



Dessert:

My favorite mixed drink: Disaronno and Ginger Ale with Lime


In my fridge cleaning attempt, I made a version of a Thai lime Chicken over Jasmine rice. I was out of regular rice and Aaron's mom was gracious enough to supply me with the box she had in her pantry.


My resources were limited to a chicken breast, one lime, a bunch of asparagus, onion, garlic, one packet of chicken gravy mix, and a handful of cherry tomatoes. (I didn't use the tomatoes)


For a Thai chicken recipe galore I would go all out with fresh ginger, cilantro, lemon, red bell pepper, etc. But the objective was to clear out the fridge not add to it.


I went on a search for a recipe that was simple enough that I could make a version of with my limited resources. This is the closest I could come to.


Originally I wasn't going to post the recipe but it was honestly really good and a great easy mid-week meal that took about 20 minutes to make. I am having a hard time naming this dish though…


It consisted of chicken, asparagus in a chicken gravy sauce with lime zest and juice (garlic, onion, etc. included.) Think chicken Piccatta.


What would you call that?


This actually happens to me a lot. I will come up with something out of all the random items in my pantry and be completely uncreative when it comes to actually naming the dish.


Despite its ambiguous name, it was quite delicious. The chicken was tender; the sauce was tangy but savory more than anything. So, if you find yourself in a fridge situation like me, try this dish. You won’t be sorry. Because it might be the day before Thanksgiving, but you still have to eat.

Chicken and Asparagus in a Savory Lime Sauce over Rice:
2 servings



Ingredients:

As much rice as you’d like

1 chicken breast, cut into strips (1 inch wide, ¼-1/2 inch thick)

¼ cup of flour

1 bunch of asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces

½ onion, roughly chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tbsp. butter

Most of 1 packet of Roasted chicken gravy

1 ½ cup of water

1 tsp. salt

Ground pepper

Zest of one lime

Juice of ½ lime

Directions:

Cook Jasmine Rice according to package.

Meanwhile, in a large pan begin to sautéed onions, garlic, ½ lime zest, and 1 tbsp. of butter.

Add asparagus and brown together.

In a small bowl mix together chicken slices and flour until chicken is evenly coated.

Add last tbsp. of butter and coated chicken to the pan and evenly brown each side of the chicken pieces.

Once chicken is cooked through (about 1 minute) in the pan gradually add 1 ½ cup water, gravy mix, lime juice, and the rest of the lime zest. Stir to break up gravy mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!

Big Day Up Date:

Thanksgiving will be very hectic for us since we are having about 15 people including my family, Aaron's family, my sister's boyfriend's family etc.

Here's the menu so far:

Fresh Cranberry Martinis

Mulled Wine

Blue Cheese Stuffed Celery

Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts

etc. etc. (other vegetables and sides)

Cornbread Stuffing

Roasted Turkey

Jewish Apple Cake

Lemon Buttermilk Pie

Pumpkin Roll

Favorite Movie to Watch Thanksgiving Wednesday while cooking: Pocahontas

Note: as a History major I must add a disclaimer that this movie has little historical accuracy and has nothing to do with the Thanksgiving story. But how good is "Colors of the Wind"?!


Happy Thanksgiving!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a day of good eats! Your dessert looks particularly good ;)

    ReplyDelete