Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Small Town: West Shore Farmer's Market

Six weeks seems too long a time to not come back to my hometown and visit my mom for the weekend, so this weekend Aaron and I went home. I couldn’t wait until Thanksgiving to see my mom (yes it’s a week away) and we always have a great time coming home and being fed and stocked up with goodies. (Who knows how 3 months in London will work!)
As always we were greeted with a lovely dinner that happened to be my mother’s amazing turkey meatballs. On Saturday we took a trip to the Farmer’s Market and saw J. Edgar in theaters. Great meals followed of course!

This isn't a "tourist" place so please excuse the quality of these photos since I wanted to avoid strange looks.

One of my favorite things to do back home is to go to the West Shore Farmer’s Market in Lemoyne, PA.

It is not a huge market but just large enough to get everything you need with some treats thrown in to the mix.
Foolishly we went hungry so in order to suppress our want to buy everything we all had some very good pizza from one of the stands.

I had the Sicilian pizza. mmmmm.....

Aaron had the meatball pizza.

Mom had a slice of cheese. (Please forgive me for this picture, sorry mom.)

We then moved on to our favorite cheese counter who also acts as a butcher.


You can spend a lot of money at this place very quickly!
Afterwards I had to get a cinnamon-sugared pretzel from the Mennonite family that runs one of the best pretzel stands anywhere in my opinion. It was essential to my health, I swear.






After a stop at the fish counter for a filet of salmon and a trip to the gourmet doggie treat section we were on our way.

Yes, our dog needs gourmet treats and so did our cousins’ dog Skidley. (According to Aaron it was his “barkmitsvah” this weekend.)

I love the market; it always reminds me I am home. We are so lucky to have unique places such as these. And this particular market also includes a shopping area on the second floor complete with a jewelry store, lamp repair shop, about 3 or 4 antique shops and a few others for good measure. I have barely scratched the surface of this place with notably great Asian and Lebanese eateries and an assortment of fabulous, local vendors.
We picked up the salmon for a early dinner on Sunday before we left but we ran out of time so mom sent us home with a filet and that will be dinner this week! I also got stocked up on a peck of Jonagold apples and a gallon of cider from the orchard.
I love coming home!

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

Do you have a favorite local market?

No comments:

Post a Comment