Thursday, August 4, 2011

Small Town Summer: Chicken Parmesan

Today I was torn between what to feature. Last night I made Chicken Parmesan and attempted to make homemade tomato sauce. This was not my greatest achievement. But after a while, the sauce thickened and it was pretty good.

We had about a million tomatoes from our green-thumbed neighbor and we had to do something with them. After seeing a recipe for simple tomato sauce by Leslie from andherlittledogtoo, (who got in from Smitten Kitchen.)





I thought this would be a perfect way to use all these tomatoes. Her sauce looked rich and creamy, mine was thin and watery. I think maybe this was not the recipe to use fresh seeded tomatoes instead of her skinless, seedless, canned variety. But eh, live and learn.

 


After my mother and I add corn starch, bouillon, and let the sauce sit, it was actually decent. In all the hustle and bustle of making Chicken Parmesan and attempting to make Tomato Sauce, I forgot to boil pasta. So we put the dish over minute rice, problem solved.

The chicken was delicious, if I do say so myself. I love chicken parmesan and this is a good recipe.

As for the sauce, her recipe is the proper one so I won’t even post mine. If you want to make your own sauce, try Leslie from andherlittledogtoo’s recipe and just glance at my photos which only appear to make a successful sauce.

One good outcome of the sauce is leftovers. It thickened up and was delicious. So maybe it wasn’t a complete failure.

Chicken Parmesan: 4-5 Servings




Ingredients:

4 Chicken Breasts, sliced into thin slices

1 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs in shallow bowl

1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (1/2 cup for breadcrumbs, 1 cup for topping)

Shredded Mozzarella (We didn’t have any so I used sharp provolone, but I for a cheesier chicken use mozzarella)

1 tblsp. Garlic Powder

Pepper

1 egg, beaten in shallow bowl

Dash of Worcestershire

Olive Oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Make sure the chicken slices are thin, if need be beat with metal mallet.


Beat egg and Worcestershire sauce in a shallow bowl together.

Mix breadcrumbs, garlic powder, pepper, and ½ cup grated parmesan together in anoter shallow bowl.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat the pan in olive oil.


Working in batches, coat pieces of chicken first in the egg mixture and then the breadcrumbs mixture.





Place breaded chicken in heated pan and cook on both sides for at least 4 minutes each until no longer pink.


Place all cooked chicken pieces in a baking dish. Evenly cover the chicken in mozzarella (or sharp provolone) and top with a shallow coat of tomato sauce.


Then evenly cover the pieces in parmesan and more mozzarella.

Place the baking dish in the oven and cook for 20 minutes until cheese and sauce are bubbly.

Serve with tomato sauce and pasta, (or rice.) Pictured are my leftovers for lunch.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

No comments:

Post a Comment