Saturday, September 8, 2012

Campbell's Go! Soup


In the life of a college-aged foodie, it seems inevitable that more often than not the places we may go we will probably run into a few hipsters.

Say in the case of Trader Joe’s. I go there looking for a deal on fresh produce and so do the hipsters for either the same reason or perhaps the organic lemons in Whole Foods just didn’t look as fresh. (Doubt it though.) We all know I have a mild obsession/stalking from a distance relationship with Whole Foods.

In other situations such as the cool new LA Style taco restaurant I’ve been wanting to try in Philadelphia’s Fishtown neighborhood, I am almost imitated to go pass the hipster crowd who makes me feel I don’t deserve to eat $2.50 tacos CASH ONLY with the likes of these much cooler people.

But let’s get passed my own insecurities shall we?

Feeling under the weather today I asked Aaron to get me some Campbell’s tomato soup. This led me to a Google search which informed me the canned soup giant is coming out with a brand new “hipster-inspired” line of packaged soups. After a little more research I found these new hip soups are inspired by none other than hipsters themselves  and 18-32 age group that is new increasingly more interested in more interesting flavors than plain tomato soup.

Courtesy of NJ.com

Campbell’s have made a big deal about this new product, Go! Soup In delightfully colorful pouch packages. They’ve sent executives to “hipster-hubs” like Portland, Oregon and London. Which explains why it looks like a package soup I’d buy at Marks & Spencer’s or Waitrose. If they are sending this across the pond they might have a hit on their hands.

They even looked around NYC food trucks for inspiration and followed young people on shopping trips! (with their permission of course.) Wonder if they sent any reps to a Philly Night Market?


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The flavors of the Go! Soup packages sound great. Moroccan style chicken soup with chick peas, Golden lentils, Chicken quinoa, or coconut curry…sounds like something you would get in that fancy deli for $4-5 a bowl right?
 
Or a lot like my dinner last night.

But as my above rant suggests, would a soup that you can find in the average grocery store that attracts the likes of me, the budgeted college foodie also attract Samara, the part-time yoga instructor/software engineer? That's the question.
 
I think this is the question Campbell’s wants to ask. There are taking a big risk on the new soups which sound delicious but at the same time will they go over? The expensive homemade bowl of soup at the deli I like doesn’t have to market their soup for 100 million of their closest customers like Campbell’s. Will this soup be too adventurous for the average small town mom or dad? Will it not be adventurous enough for I-only-eat-organic 18-32 prized age group Campbell’s is so desperately trying to attract? I’m sure they’ve asked themselves these questions and weighed the pros and cons. Of course, they know their condensed soup audience probably will stay as such but maybe their new “skillet sauces” in similar Go! Soup exotic flavors will attract a new audience as well who might not pick up the new soup. This is the first time Campbell's has offered a new product by any means. I know I’ll probably give it at least a try.
When these soups will hit nation wide is hard to tell but these reports. It looks like Walmart is already carrying the items though so maybe you'll see them sooner than you think.

Courtesy of Design Boom
 
If this wasn’t enough Andy Warhol inspired cans of regular tomato soup are now on sale at Target. My question is will be want to eat the soup or buy ten to make a retro display in their kitchen instead of a back splash? I have no idea. I just want some tomato soup and grilled cheese.

What do you think? Would you buy this soup?
 
Love,
 
The College Cuisiner
 
Images courtesy of Package World, Ad Age, and Create ID

6 comments:

  1. This is so ironic! I was doing our grocery shopping for the week last night at Walmart when I finished work (There are no trader joes in the Montana wilderness, after all). And as I was, I saw these soups on the top shelf above the other campbells soups. I immediately took a picture & texted it to Trevor. While I loved the flavors, I could not bring myself to buy soup in such ridiculous packaging. Now look at all those flavors again, I’m still intrigued. Guess I’ll have to see if any are gluten-free next time I go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! We must be on the same wave-length. Agreed, the packaging is ridiculous but they say it promotes hip and fresh! Let me know fi you end up trying it. I would like to try the chicken and quinoa!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... that actually looks appealing! I wonder what the nutritional are like though. I hate all the sodium they pack in canned soups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, that's the problem with packaged soups. It looks like this will have quite a bit too. I guess that's why homemade is usually better :) Let me know if you try it though, I'm curious!

      Delete
  3. I think they should have more than 2 our of 6 vegetarian flavors--kind of ridiculous, there are TONS of millenials/college students who are vegetarians. That said, I tried those two flavors. I thought they tasted nice but were fairly watery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i just tried the spicy chorizo - one word ahmazing. totally surprised by this and im glad its not in a can because that makes me think of all sorts of things like carcinogens



    ReplyDelete