Sunday, September 23, 2012

Crockpot Curry Peach Chicken

I'm loving my new crockpot that my BFF Nicole gave me for my birthday. After the Chicken Chili I made I got excited to make a new recipe.

I looked around and saw a recipe for peachy curry chicken a few weeks ago. When I went to make this I couldn't find the recipe and all I remember is that it had chicken and peaches in it so this recipe is mine.


With the sweetness of the spice I wanted to add some spice to balance it out. I added some sriracha, chili powder, and pepper flakes to give it a little spiceness. I'm trying to be conscious of our salt intake so I recommend a low-sodium chicken both for this recipe since the spices and herbs give it so much flavor without the added salt.

I know I said my last peach recipe would be the final of the season but when I passed an old man with a farm stand in Maryland last weekend I gave in and bought up the last peaches and tomatoes. In retrospect he overcharged me big time but these chicken dish was worth it.


If you really like curry and have access to different types I recommend experimenting with different blends of yellow and red curry and spices. If not, a standard yellow curry will do. But as always, be creative! It's more fun that way!

 
And since we are coming into Autumn finally you could always replace the fresh peaches for sliced apples. Just remember to add a little more liquid to account for the water from the peaches. (A little more chicken broth will do just fine.)


As most of my recipes, this is for around two maybe three people for dinner. I like making small portions since it is just us and while I usually make a little more for leftovers we end up eating it right away! For a family sized portion, simply double the recipe. This is a great meal for any day of the week!


Crockpot Curry Peach Chicken



Ingredients:

½ lb. chicken tenders
2 peaches, cut into chunks
½ yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup red wine
½ cup gluten-free, low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. decent yellow curry powder or curry mix
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. chili powder
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp black pepper
A little garlic salt
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
1 tsp. sriracha hot chili sauce

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar


Garnish: top each plate with a couple peach slices and a little extra fresh cilantro

Directions:

Add all ingredients into crockpot. Mix together well. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours. For the most moist chicken in a hurry, try HIGH for 3 hours and LOW for 1 hour.

Once cooked, shred the chicken and mix together with the the sauce and peaches. Serve over your favorite grain.

Tip: You can leave the chicken unshredded as it gets melt-in-your-mouth tender when whole but you will have more sauce to account for.

I served this curry chicken over quinoa with sauteed asparagus.

Enjoy!

Love,

The College Cuisiner

P.S. This is your last chance to enter the contest for your own tea-infused chocolates or truffles made by Philadelphia Area chocolatier, Designs by Francine. All you have to do give your idea for a tea-infused chocolate creation. Contest ends this Tuesday, September 25th!!


Here's Francine's latest creation: Dark Chocolate Cranberry Orange Truffles made with cranberry tea infusion and orange zest so be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment